Anyone else following the Sail GP series this year?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I started watching it toward the end of last season and I must admit I find the races fun to watch. Its like dingy racing at 40+ Knots with 6+ Million dollar Yachts. I realize that these racers are so far out of my league I am but an ant in their world but still its fun to see their tactical decisions and how mistakes have instant impacts in their position on the course. Is anyone else following this? I would love to hear other opinions.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I haven’t seen it, but it does sound interesting. I’ll have to check it out.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
That is some serious racing!
Agreed, I am curious though as to why the US boat is regarded as an almost non contender in all of this. They seemed to start well though struggle to keep the boat on the foils and at speed like the some other competitors but perhaps they just had a bad day. Still it seems as though the commentators feel the US is a non competitor in the event and that only the GB & AUS boats are in contention. Really interesting dynamics though with crews from various countries.

The racing goes on though September with the boats being transported all over the globe to race in different venues. I'm looking forward to seeing if the US and AUS boats do a bit better in the final 2 races late this evening but I suppose Ill have to wait till tomorrow to actually watch the race as I'm not sure Ill still be awake that late tonight.

Also a tactical question for those that understand foiling hulls. Does it affect boat speed much if the vessel is bobbing on the foils so long as the hulls don't contact the water? I would imagine there is some increase in drag but I was wondering how much.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
SailGP is an international sailing competition using high performance F50 foiling catamarans.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
NASCAR on the water? Aren’t we all just waiting for someone to blink in a P/S situation? Boats that can’t keep foiling the entire race are not contenders.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
That was some fantastic racing! GB team was very impressive winning 5 out of 6 but there are some up and comers that make the fleet racing exciting.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
That was some fantastic racing! GB team was very impressive winning 5 out of 6

AHH Spoiler alert! I haven't seen day 2 yet. Agreed though it is fun to watch. Hopefully ill get some time to watch it this afternoon.:)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just watched day one. Unbelievable speed and changes. Boat flying at 40 knts then suddenly in last place doing 6 knots. WOW.

Oct 22, 2014
It would make the cruise slip by before we could blink. 40 knots. Would be 30 minutes between anchorages.

Oct 22, 2014
Training? Do we need training. What about the Nike way... Just Do It. Swoosh...

One problem was pretty evident. No place to put a sleeping bag. And morning coffee would be difficult to make and sip in the cockpit. They are pretty much afternoon sailors. It looked like the races were shorter than a few laps around Le Mans. Also not sure where we could find a couple of grinders. They look awfully important.

Yes... I think I’ll settle for my 6 knots and comforts. Besides we would miss seeing the whales on one of those boats.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I found that I started to get adjusted to watching the speed after the first few minutes as the relative rate of closure wasn’t that extreme. They were all travelling at 30-40 so unless one of them came off the foils they were closely matched. The jarring back to reality of how fast they go was the “bump” during race one / day one (pretty wild!) and a few shots where they crossed each other!

I like the relatively “short” time between marks and that there wasn’t any apparent tacking duels. The island in the middle of the course also created a little drama.

Fun stuff to watch!