Anyone done this handrail on the dodger thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Helped a friend bring his 49' Beneteau home to Quantico this past weekend, Noticed on his dodger really nice handrails (looks like something PaulJ would dream up). So I looked online and found these and am wondering if PaulJ or someone else has done this.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/products2.cfm?product=L7781

Note I used no labels; if I am wrong I am sure someone will tell me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Silvio

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 310 Solomons Island, MD
rpwillia,
I have them on my dodger, one on each side and a long one on the aft edge. They are really useful especially when the bimini is in place. They are surprisingly sturdy and give a good hand hold. I will see if I can find a picture later.

May 17, 2010
Catalina 36 Gig Harbor
Have some on a C36 and really like them.
Had a canvas guy install, since I'm not good at drilling stainless tubing.
Very handy for helping my wife come aboard and for going forward.
Not quite as elegant as the welded-on variety, but these can be removed and reinstalled when it comes time to replace the dodger fabric, rather than have the canvas maker work openings around the permanent kind. Was told that the heat of the drill would seal the Sunbrella. Have not noticed any drips from the acorn nuts while washing the dodger or during heavy rain.
Good luck
Jack

Attachments

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
I have them on my 310 and love them...as does everyone else. The only downfall is that they have to be removed to lower the dodger, which is a small price to pay for the added support to the frame as well as to the person. I do keep extra bolts and nuts because I'm bound to lose one into the water when taking it down.

Highly recommend them!

Attachments

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Great idea! I have 3 hand holds on the aft edge of the dodger but having then on the post and starboard sides would be great. Maybe I can get a local canvas shop to custom fabricate some for me. That said, they are so busy that a small job would be of little interest to them. I will do some measuring and maybe the ones shown on rpwillia's link would work.

Sep 29, 2008
Now I am psyched

Even my wife likes the idea. Now I am pretty stoked about it. I suspect I am going to get the ones in the link, drill the holes and install them.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I have the second style. Very handy for getting on the boat and going forward.

Silvio

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 310 Solomons Island, MD
Here is how mine is set-up. The boat came to me this way, seems pretty well thought out. The canvas is removeable without having to take apart any of the frame. Don't think I would clip my harness to them but they are sturdy enough that I use them whenever I go forward.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Silvio those are nice

Like that they put them in the gap above the windows. I like that.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It's also not only how they look, but they are an important safety item.

I have an old article either from Mainsheet or an older Good Old Boat magazine that I've scanned. Email me if you'd like it.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If you don't have a rail there, people are going to grab the dodger there anyway. They will leave greasy finger marks (how is that possible with all the soap you have stored right next to the sink???) on the aft end of the dodger, and it will wear out sooner. We specified a rail when we had our dodger built, so it was welded up before the cover even got slipped over the frame. We've been pleased ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.