Anyone beefed up your mast step?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ernie tetrault

I have a 1979 H33. One of the major problems the surveyor found was stress cracking (and water permiation) in the fiberglass around the mast step. He suggested I cut the glass down to the core, in an area larger than original built-up area, and install a larger piece of ply to help spread the stress out over a greater area. The idea makes sense to me, but I'm wondering just how intense of a job I'm going to get into. So, I'm just checking to see if anyone else has been faced with this dilemna and looking for suggestions. Thanks, Ernie

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Mast Step Repair

Ernie, see the Foto Forum and review the H34 compression post repair. I think you will find this applicable and another reason this is such a great site. Rick D.

J

Jim O'Brien

Where ???

Ernie, are you talking about where the mast is attatched on top of the cabin, or where the compression post meets the Hull? Because I have cracking in the bilge area where the compression post meets he bottom of the boat. I am wondering if that could be a problem also.

J

Jim Logan

Cracking at base of mast support in bilge

Like Jim O'Brian, I also have some cracking in the fiberglass at one side of the base of the mast support in the bilge. It is just on one side of the area it is attached to, doesn't appear to be sunken or very deep in the cracks, and there is no depression in the mast pad on top of the cabin or inside the cabin top. But, I also wonder, is this serious, or just something that happens in 20 year old boats?

E

Ernie tetrault

Thanks, but not quite it

Thanks for all of your responses, but maybe I should have clarified the situation a little better. I have no problems with the compression post or it's mount. My problem is topsides where the actual mast step plate is, although after the deck is reinforced the post mount will probably be next to go. I am keeping an eye on the bilge where the compression post mounts, but for now at least, I'm okay there. Keep those suggestions coming!! Thanks again, Ernie

S

sailorbob7

mast step

My '78 H33 has the same problem. I suspect that water has entered through the deck plugs for the masthead and anchor light and rotted the inner core material under the mast step resulting in a depression in the deck under the mast step and a crack in the headliner just forward of the compression post. I intend to remove the mast for other repairs (rewiring of lights, VHF ant., etc). With the mast removed I will cut a 4" hole in the deck under the mast step through the top layer of fiberglass and pull out all of the rotted core material and then fill with reinforced epoxy. This will result in a solid bearing between the mast step and the compression post. I will remove the deck wiring plugs and route the wiring below deck through a goose neck deck pipe I made with PVC pipe.

J

Jim O'Brien

to Logan

Jim, If you hear anything further about the impact of the crack at the base of the post ..... let me know. and I will reciprocate. zcoolbreez@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.