Anyone around Fortman Marina, Alameda?

Sep 11, 2021
CAL 34 CAL 34 Fortman Marina
Hi, new to sailing, finished basic cruising... bought a CAL34. I don't know anyone in the Bay (moved here from Boise) and my mom and sis are coming this Thursday. Would love to take my boat out before they get here so I can figure out the basics. If anyone knows of someone who 1) knows the area (Fortman Marina to basic area sailing in Alameda) 2) has a few hours to go out on the water between now and Wed, who's patient with a sense of humor, please let me know. I will pay for their time. Happy Friday!

Sep 11, 2021
thanks Stu! I am ordering both books as well! Single Handed Sailing" books by Frank Mulville and Richard Henderson

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You'll find Frank's is a "classic" and Richard's like a "How to". Have fun they're both great reads. I still have both of them, and have read them many times. Frank is almost "quaint." :):):)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A link that you may find interesting.

The offered book by Andy Evans (free in PDF format) is an excellent read.

Sep 11, 2021
Hi Sail SFbay: That's great! When are you available? Thanks in advance! :) I will message you

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Avaliable anytime, except Sunday as I will be sailing out of Point Richmond with a couple friends. You are welcome to join.

Sep 11, 2021
Thanks, Sail SFBay! So appreciate your time today. Hopefully, I can do the same for someone else in the future.

Br3nt

May 14, 2011
C&C 39 San Francisco
I'd offer but Sail SFBay beat me to it! You might be interested in Island Yacht Club's Women's Sailing Seminar that's coming up in a couple weeks. It won't help you for this weekend but I've heard it's a really great program.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
@HeatherE I've been watching your posts on your recently acquired Cal 34 - great boat by the way.

But what I haven't seen you post, and perhaps I missed it, is what are your long term sailing plans? If, of course, you know them....

dj

Sep 11, 2021
Hi BR3NT, I just saw a flier on the seminar! I think I will sign up for it since you mentioned it's good! Thanks!

Hi DJ: Long-term plans? When Bitcoin hits an all-time high, I am going to upgrade to a bigger boat and sail around the world :) (it's always good to dream ;) ) haha

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Have you considered joining Encinal Yacht Club or possibly Alameda Yacht Club or Oakland Yacht Club? They're all right there. You'll be up to your ass in fellow sailors. Oh, and Encinal has a pool.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Hi DJ: Long-term plans? When Bitcoin hits an all-time high, I am going to upgrade to a bigger boat and sail around the world :) (it's always good to dream ;) ) haha
Dreams are always a fabulous thing to pursue!

I've always wanted to hit the lottery and do the same. But a number of years ago, I realized that following my dream was more important. While hitting the lottery would be a very nice to have - it was not within my control so I figured I'd better find a way to do this that is within my control. It also helped me to more clearly define the dream. When I was younger, solo sailing was fine - not that I really wanted to solo sail, but it was just how it was always working out. At my current age, I can say I do not want to solo sail - especially on long trans-oceanic legs. Therefore, how to get around that predicament has been an area of research for me.

I guess what I'm saying in all this is, I'd caution you in relying on aspects of a dream that are outside your control. Build your dream using what is within your control and hey, if a bonus gets thrown in there, even better!

If you're interested in solo sailing around the world, I have a friend doing that right now. She sailed out of Europe, spent time in the Caribbean, passed through the Panama Canal and is now on her Pacific leg. If you would like, I can pass on her information to you. Lovely person and I'm sure she would be open to talking with you about it. But I would leave that to you two. Let me know if you are interested in getting her info.

dj

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Do we get a trip report? Thursday has come and gone. If it went poorly it didn't go so badly as to make the news. I hope it went well.

Sep 11, 2021
Hi
Have you considered joining Encinal Yacht Club or possibly Alameda Yacht Club or Oakland Yacht Club? They're all right there. You'll be up to your ass in fellow sailors. Oh, and Encinal has a pool.
Haha :) Mark, haven't joined anything yet! Great idea! Looking now, thanks!