Anyone Added Deck Jib Cars to Hunter 326?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2010
Hunter 326 Bronte Outer Harbour
I just purchased a 2003 Hunter 326. I find that the short jib tracks mounted on the coachroof are a bit of a pain when I single hand (something I do often) because I have to sheet the jib off the winches mounted either side of the companionway. I also dislike the tiny, high cut jib.

I notice that there are places for primary winches to be mounted on the cockpit coamings, so I was wondering if anyone had ever decided to add jib tracks/cars to the deck and run sheets back to primaries in a more traditional setup? I also wonder if this would allow a slightly larger headsail, lower cut? I guess the other question is whether the sail would clear the spreaders if it were bigger and/or would it be possible to get appropriate sheeting angles?

I have to think I am not the only one who doesn't like the factory setup. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
The deck layout of the newer Hunters with B&R rigs and wide chainplates precludes the use of overlapping headsails. You would be far better served with a code zero spinnaker. You could however add line adjustable cars to your existing tracks. That would make sheet lead angles far easier to adjust without leaving the cockpit.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
No problem, a code zero is a rather flattened out asymmetrical spinnaker. It is designed for power reaching but can also be used for upwind in lighter air. The B&R rigged Hunters are not capable of carrying a large overlapping genoa and are under powered with their small jibs. The code zero fills the gap rather well and can be carried on a furler just like a genoa.

Here's a discussion you might like to read. http://www.practicallysailing.com/blog/code-zero-spinnaker-or-headsail

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
The model Hunter 33 that followed the h326 came with the additional winches. You may checkout how they ruted the sheets. The newer model Hunters are main sail powered and use the headsail for balance and stability. Boats with mainsail furling give some away but the B&R rig precludes the use of a larger headsail without costly modifications. The use of an assymetrical spinaker would make more sense. I had the same problem when single handling until I installed the autpilot.

Jun 15, 2010
Hunter 326 Bronte Outer Harbour
Thanks for the info. I suspected a larger headsail may not work and would be interferred with by the spreaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.