Anyone add a starting Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2004
Catalina 310 Virginia Beach, VA
And what has been your time span with the 4D batteries, I believe my are getting weak. Just over two years old. Thanks Skipper Ken

G

Gary

Stock 4D Batteries

Ken, Our original 4D batteries are coming up on their 4th birthday and seem to be holding up just fine. The boat is hooked up to shore power whenever at the dock, and being in California this is year-round. I do keep the refer on so that is drawing from the batteries and the charger (Charles model) replenishes what is taken out. I also keep the battery switch on 1 for odd months (Jan, Mar, etc) and on 2 for even months (Feb, April, etc). This way they get a month "off" every other month, and, if there was a shore power failure it wouldn't "kill" both batteries. And, I check the battery fluid level frequently (every month); usually not much water is needed. If it was needed it'd probably indicate a charger problem. As for a starting battery, I've considered adding one but haven't gotten to it. The way we use the boat there really isn't a need for it at this time. Happy Sailing, Gary C310 #230 "Rhythm"

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
Still going strong

Over six years on our original batteries and they seem to be as good as new. I use a link 10 to monitor them. I don't leave the charger on unless they need it, but I do keep them fully charged.

T

Tim McCarty

Hmm, why do some 310's have 4d's and others...

have 8d's. We have hull 312 and have two 8d batteries under the port settee. Is it because of the Fridge? I thought all 310's have Fridge's. These batteries are really heavy, really difficult to pull off and put on the boat (as, I would guess they were installed before the deck assembly was added) and when it comes time to replace them, I suspect I may need to take out a small bank loan...would 4d's give me the same performance?

T

Tim McCarty

I guess I stand corrected...

I always thought my 4D's were 8D's...

Status
Not open for further replies.