Anybody used a hoist on a 170?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edwin M

Looking for feedback if anyone has used a hoist for launching their 170. Any problems? Anything to be careful of? I recently purchased a '99 and this cracked hull deal is getting me a little concerened.

C

Chuck Faraci

To the rafters of my garage

I hoist my 170 to the rafters of a reinforced garage roof. I contacted JY two years ago and they told me to lift from the stern cleats and the chainplates. I use some chain with shackels to connect to all four points and bring them together to a single chainfall. I use two pieces of pvc pipe to act as separators to keep from putting too much of a pinching load on the beam of the boat. Once I have it lifted into place, I support it from below with two 2" wide straps. These take most of the load, though I leave the chainfall in place. This is the second winter I have done it. So far, so good. I have looked for the cracks and have not found any yet. A couple of notes of caution: I reinforced every rafter connection and all the stringer connections in the garage. This includes where they attach to the walls and where they attach to the ridge. I oversized the chain and chainfall. I checked for sag by lifting the boat 1" off the trailer and leaving it for a couple of days to be sure I didn't miss anything before I hoisted all the way up. I selected the side of my garage where the sun completely melts the snow regularly. I will post a photo for you. Chuck Watery Tart

E

Edwin M

Interesting!

Thanks Chuck, I never would have thought to use the stern cleats - duh! Hey thats what these forums are for. Very informative, I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.