Anybody had success with Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

Jun 3, 2006
Catalina 36mkII Alameda CA
We sold our previous boat (Catalina 30) on Craigslist. I think it took 2-4 weeks, although that was in a very different economic climate, and we got what we were expecting for it - a fair price for both buyer and seller. We also bought our present boat (C-36) off of Craigslist.

Marcia

Mar 26, 2007
Paceship Yachts PY23 Cove Marina, NAB, Norfolk VA
I sold a boat and bought our current boat on CL. The biggest PITA were the overseas scammers, but you can usually tell they are fake by the broken english or rediculous stories like, "My secretary is authorized to forward you twenty million US dollars for the cost of your boat plus you trouble, please remit the difference in cash.....". I ALWAYS meet in person and deal only in cash with anything in CL. Even a cashier's check can be forged so if you decide to accept one, do so with care and learn how to spot counterfeit currency. Over the winter we remodeled our house and I sold TONS of stuff on CL with no problems except a couple no shows.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
in selling a boat?
not in 3 years of trying, but the market suxxx bad so i donot figger it will sell for a long time yet...mine is 35ft .....some smaller boats have sold there--i know that from friends who have done it---but mine just gets flagged for removal--i want a decent price for it--i will wait out the mayhem market. good luck....ebqay works, i have seen boats sell there as well--just for a lot less than the asking prices......gooood luck--now is not the time to sell--is time to buy...GOOD LUCK!!!!!!.

John

Jun 3, 2006
Catalina 36mkII Alameda CA
forged checks

I sold a boat and bought our current boat on CL. The biggest PITA were the overseas scammers, but you can usually tell they are fake by the broken english or rediculous stories like, "My secretary is authorized to forward you twenty million US dollars for the cost of your boat plus you trouble, please remit the difference in cash.....". I ALWAYS meet in person and deal only in cash with anything in CL. Even a cashier's check can be forged so if you decide to accept one, do so with care and learn how to spot counterfeit currency. Over the winter we remodeled our house and I sold TONS of stuff on CL with no problems except a couple no shows.
When I sold a pickup truck to a guy from out of town, I took his cashier's check to the bank it was made on (Wells Fargo) and asked them to check it out. They checked the branch from which it was made and told me it was genuine.

May 5, 2006
Knutson K-35 Yawl Bellingham
I told them "CASH ONLY" in the ad and used an email address reserved for stuff like this.

Dec 9, 2006
Oday 22 Hickory, NC
ZeeHag, why does it keep getting flagged for removal?

I have alway had very good luck buying and selling...in all cases the price was stated well in the add.

I had one potential purchase in which the guy was asking too many questions about the payment...he wanted it really really fast...wanted me to wire it...I just did not feel good about the transaction and cancelled it.

Jack

PS...ANY check...even bank checks, cashier checks included can be bad.
I knew one instance in which a cashiers check got a stop payment on it. The check was deposited in the account...the stop payment was put on the check,(I did not know that could be done but it was) and then it bounced in the guys account...he was out the cost of the check, the item he supposedly sold and the bank fees for the bounced check. The lesson there is to wait until the check clears your bank before releasing the item.

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
Sold a 25 ft sailboat, and bought a 19 ft sailboat on Craigslist. Both were cash/ in person deals. The 25 ft sold to the first caller for the advertised price. Be sure the seller has the proper documents for the boat. Be sure you have a bill of sale and a list of all items that go with the boat.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
ZeeHag, why does it keep getting flagged for removal?

I have alway had very good luck buying and selling...in all cases the price was stated well in the add.

I had one potential purchase in which the guy was asking too many questions about the payment...he wanted it really really fast...wanted me to wire it...I just did not feel good about the transaction and cancelled it.

Jack

PS...ANY check...even bank checks, cashier checks included can be bad.
I knew one instance in which a cashiers check got a stop payment on it. The check was deposited in the account...the stop payment was put on the check,(I did not know that could be done but it was) and then it bounced in the guys account...he was out the cost of the check, the item he supposedly sold and the bank fees for the bounced check. The lesson there is to wait until the check clears your bank before releasing the item.
every time i found it flagged for removal , i looked and found another ericson 35 for sale for less than i wanted for mine--i figgered the person who placed that ad flagged mine--not certain, but is only thing i can think of......doesnt make sense unless that other person was desperate to sell his--i only want to sell mine--is alll goood-----mine will sell when market comes back........was in san diego craigs list......

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I bought my C30 on Craigs list. I am buying an engine tomorrow from craigs list. As long as you are in person to make the deal, it's a good platform to make deals from.
I sold 4 kayaks on there.
What are you trying to sell?

Aug 2, 2005
pearson ariel grand rapids
I've sold several boats on craigs list, and bought a few. It's a good resource.
Problem with many sellers is that the responses are from craigs list, and are often considered spam and dumped directly into the trash folder so people don't see them. Which ticks many people off and they flag the ads. So, If you list something, check your spam folder.

I have sold several things from way out of the area, a couple times to canade, once to mexico, and in many other states. With things like search tempest and other CL 'helpers' there is a very large coverage area.

Agree with using a dedicated email address for it though. Some people harvest emails by responding to the ad, others place ads for the same purpose.

Ken.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
I've bought and sold hundreds of items using CL. You must use your head as with any deal. Checks can be and are forged everyday. So be careful there. Whats really cool about it is you can see what for sale in another city in another state. Right now I'm looking for a handicap van for my brother in New England, while I'm in TX. It works out real well, I was even comparing the price and I might buy one here and drive it up north for him.
I've had my boat on CL for about three weeks now and I have a person swearing he'll buy it and has been in contact with me. As with any transaction, money talks, BS walks. It's a good venue. I even sold my house in Okla to a person from San Francisco who happened to taking a job in Okla. Can't beat that. Advertise it in surrounding cities . It's all good and the best part is it's free. I sold a 1960 pick up, I had bought in TX, shipped her to OK and restored her and I moved to TX. I left the truck behind on a friends car lot. I put her on CL in Dallas, Wichita KS, Little Rock AR. Tulsa, OK, and a guy from Dallas went up to OK and bought her back to TX. Returning her to Dallas where she started. It didn't cost me a thing aside from taking care of my friend for using his lot. Good luck and use your head and it'll be a great experience for ya. I check out CL every mornig just for fun. I've got many experiences with CL , all of which are great!

Keep it up,
Ctskip

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I sold my last boat, A 1977 Cal 34 III through Craigslist to a gentleman from St Petersburg.... Russia. He flew over with a friend and his father, tinkered with the boat for 2-weeks and then sailed it to the Azors in 20 days. He left it there until his next vacation then brought it back to St. petersburg. Thought it was a scam, however all worked out.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I drove a 7 hour round trip today to pick up an engine. Kayak + $350 for a yanmar 2QM20. Of course the guy wanted all cash but I made an offer and he took it, after a little haggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.