Anybody ever use the DSC radio function?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Hi Everybody
I've been hearing about DSC on the newer radios and was wondering if anybody has actually used the stuff and what you think about it?

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I've used the DSC functions for contacting friends via their MMSI... works quite well, and far simpler than trying to hail them in many cases. Haven't used it in an emergency, but believe it would simplify matters greatly.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
We use it all the time to contact our friends. Especially in the Bahamas where everybody "listens to the mail" . With DSC they don't know what you're doing because you don't have to hail. Except for those that scan all the channels, they always know what's going on.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Ditto Rick I....
The problem is that you need all the 'others' MMSI.

BTW in the Bahamas and other islands, just about EVERYONE uses VHF for their personal communications ... they must hardly ever use the damn telephones there.

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
It's the greatest thing since Shredded Wheat. We just initiated a new feature in our yacht club directory: MMSI numbers are included with all other member information. This is the best way to keep in touch with your buddies.

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
Got it activated on our radio but have never used it. Hard to break old habits. How many have interfaced with GPS to transmit position in case of emergency?

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Could have used it...

a couple of years ago assisting another boat in trouble. Had to give the CG lat-lon off the GPS as it wasn't tied into the VHF at the time. One more reason to get the thing hooked up this year!

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
My radio shows the position and is very handy because i don't have a gps or repeater at the nav table. With the DSC radio i can plot the position down below. Before this i used to have to write the pos on a scrap and then go down below to plot.

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
I am hooking up the GPS receiver now. Have been putting it off because of my cockpit configuration, and not wanting to buy a second GPS just for the radio. I came back from the boat with blood on my knees and many aching muscles. Will finish the job from hell tomorrow, but then I'll have my GPS wired to my DSC VHF radio. Wahoo!

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Sooo, what youall are saying is....

You have to know the MMSI (phone number???) of the boat you want to call to use the thing.
Is there not a "local ships" function that just calls all in a radius of you or a group call with a list of MMSI numbers?
How do you enter the numbers on the fly supposing you could get it over ch 16 or something. Mine has a user vicious interface to select an MMSI with lots of knob turning and odd button pressing. Not something I'd do when I could just hail him on ch 16 and switch to a working.
Seems like a pretty involved way to accomplish the same thing switching to a working does.
Comments?

Dec 3, 2003
None None Rochester, NY
Address Book

How do you enter the numbers on the fly supposing you could get it over ch 16 or something. Mine has a user vicious interface to select an MMSI with lots of knob turning and odd button pressing. Not something I'd do when I could just hail him on ch 16 and switch to a working.
Comments?
The Uniden model, and I would guess that all other DSC VHF radios, have an address book (file) where you sit there and enter the MMSI numbers of your buddies radios. This is not to be done while you are busy steering your boat. When you want to call one of them, you just hit the menu button, go to addresses, and select the one you want to call. They also have all-call that will send a message such as a pan-pan to all boats within radio range. You can also call a group by selecting the MMSI numbers from your address book. Of course, the main advantage of DSC (with attached GPS receiver), is that you can hit the emergency button on the WHAM or the base station and your Mayday is automatically sent out on digital chanel 70, and will keep calling until acknowleged by the Coast Guard.

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
Rich H, to appreciate why they use the VHF as the preferred method of modern communication in the Bahamas, consider the inefficiency of BATELCO, the government owned/run telephone service.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.