Any Tartan 30 folks here?

May 14, 2018
Tartan 30 portland
We are about to close on a '78 Tartan 30. She is in great shape, mostly original except for an updated diesel and she has no stove. She is a really nice blue gray with the original gel coat which is in surprisingly fine shape. Chain plates are perfect. Nothing leaks, everything is tight and in working order. She is just a sweet vintage specimen. I am a wooden boat person so this type of boat appealed to me from an aesthetic perspective but also for her fine quality.

We paid $6,500 for her which seems like a very fair price for a boat in her condition. She will be cruising the coast of Maine, where we live, and a part time summer home for our 19 year old son. On the day we viewed her and put down a deposit, we were able to drive an hour south with a uhaul trailer and pick up for $1,500 a nearly new Genoa, newer mainsail cover, cockpit cushions, a full set of sunbrella interior cushions, a bunch of turnbuckles, new life lines, a few teak doors, a tiller and some other goodies. The cockpit cushions are gorgeous and the interior cushions are very nice, not tartan sadly, but a cheery red and orange stripe. Another Tartan was scrapped and all that was left were these items. Someone else got a new Beta engine and the lead was sold. Very sad. But very lucky for us! So we are off to a great start for just $8,000.

The previous owner took off the old alcohol stove. I LOVE to cook at sea. I am trying to figure out if we can eventually put a small 2 burner stove/oven in the galley area. It is very very small, but it seems like it might be possible. For now, we have to do a passage north to Maine and will probably go with a 2 burner Coleman type of stove. Thoughts on putting in a "real oven"? I did find a small clever little gadget that is used on top of the 2 burner stoves that will bake. For $35 on eBay, I bought it. Interested in trying it out.

Other things we plan on doing is replacing the rigging, painting the deck, installing new cowl vents, installing a teak cockpit grate and possibly replacing two winches with self tailing ones. I am kind of hung up on having some hot water. Not sure of how big a job that will be. We have really very few systems, which is fine. Does anyone have any thoughts on adding a few things that make life aboard a tad more comfortable? A heater perhaps? Just to warm things up and dry things out? I am a touch nervous about heaters but it seems like plenty of people have them.

The biggest project we are contemplating is increasing the size of the head. I had heard they are small in T30s and holy cramped space, they are! There is a big area starboard of the mast right across from the head to the hanging locker. There is room there to install a second door and bulkhead, removing the amidships bulkhead that runs fore and aft and keeping the door that doubles as a head and v berth door. This would at least allow us to change and take a shower (if I get that hot water....) Thoughts?

Also thinking about some solar power for charing cell phones, and maybe refrigeration. The beauty of this boat is her simplicity, so I do not want to spoil that, but at my age, a few comforts might be really nice. We have been on hiatus from the sea for nearly 20 years and it is very exciting to be coming back.

I would welcome any wisdom anyone is willing to share!

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Just sold our Tartan 30. Figured it was time - 30 years with the same boat is enough. Delivery to Rockland, ME leaves New London, CT this coming Sunday. I will be providing onboard training to the new owner and his son.
There's a fix for the crowded head. The panel to the left of the door gets a hinge on it's aft edge and then swings open across the passageway.

May 14, 2018
Tartan 30 portland
Wow, you are delivering your boat for the new owners? What a wonderful way to transition the boat. I hope you enjoy your final sale. 30 years with the same boat says a lot. :)

We closed on our boat yesterday. It is looking great. The owner was kind enough to paint the bottom, put on a new zinc and treat the prop with an anti barnacle product. He spent hours in the blazing heat and humidity going over everything with us. We feel good going into it. He left us with all kinds of spare things for the engine, and he had had a Bimini with sides made for sun and rain issues. That is a huge bonus. We now will wait for the weather to get her north. Trying to figure out if we are going to go with an iPad chart plotter set up initially, a handheld GPS, a wireless radar or do a combined radar/chartplotter. We have a radio. That is it, not even a depth sounder. There is an old transducer in place and that has not been used for 25 years. We could replace it with something new, but that could open a can of worms right before our passage.

Very excited! We switched out the cushions yesterday.

Attachments

Feb 11, 2017
Sea Cup is now in Rockland. First day ended up at Block Island - as far as we wanted to go with 35 knots out of the NE. Boat spit out the mast chocks, but new owner is now convinced he has a solid boat. Monday was under power towards Cape Cod Canal, but ended at Gong 10 in Buzzards Bay when the exhaust broke - came close to starting a fire! TowBoatUS came out of New Bedford and wanted to take us there, but I held fast for Marion (Burr Bros). A second tow met us and completed the tow to Marion. Mechanic came aboard at 0730 on Tuesday, looked things over, and said 'Did this same fix five years ago - no problem.'. Tore out the entire exhaust, saved the good stuff and replaced the bad with stainless. We were under way again at 1630, roared through the canal at 9 kn SOG, stopping at Sandwich for the night. 0600 Wednesday morning we were under way for Monhegan. At 1400 we were welcomed to the Gulf of Maine by a pod of Atlantic white sided dolphin. First there was one off the bow, soon there were three leaping by the boat, growing eventually to about 15 or 20 on both sides of the boat and crossing underneath. All were leaping and some were doing back flips! A special show just for us. At 0600 Thursday were were abeam Monhegan and I got a cell signal and called the wife at home. At noon we were in Rockland.
New owner is thrilled with the boat. Yes, he has the mast chocks to repair and well as the associated damage from the exhaust break - but he knows he has a solid boat with a good engine and good sails.
It doesn't seem like I've sold her - just given her up for adoption.

May 14, 2018
Tartan 30 portland
Wow, what a journey! It was incredible that you delivered her. Kind of like passing the torch. Maybe the new owner came with you??? Great information about your trip. I am going to jot these details down, esp about the exhaust repair! I love the name "Sea Cup". Thanks for sharing your Tartan tale!
We were at a marine salvage store today and the owner said he hates Tartans because they are so hard to take apart. He said they are really well built boats. Thanks for sharing. 30 years is a long time to own something so special...

Feb 11, 2017
Yes, delivery crew was new owner, his son (age 30) and myself. The trip may have been my grand finale!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Yes, delivery crew was new owner, his son (age 30) and myself. The trip may have been my grand finale!
That's beautiful, a great story, and a great experience. I wish I could do that with my Catalina 36.

smosh

Jul 5, 2014
Tartan 30 27 Casco Bay
Just came across this thread googling for Tartan and biminis. Waking it up!

jeniloohoo, beautiful boat! I've a '71 Tartan I bought in August of '17...it's a great-sailing boat, but the Atomic Four has given me so many problems haven't sailed it as often as i'd like. But there's always next year, and next year is here for me; i hope the yard splashes it tomorrow.

You're in Casco Bay?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You Tartan guys tell great stories.

Congrats Jeniloohoo on your new addition to your family. Your boat looks great and your description makes it sound like it was love at first sight.

It will be fun watching you work with her to make her your own.

I have always found that I have lots if ideas and wish lists for change on a new boat. I heard that sometimes it makes sense to pause and just be on the boat. To get a feel for her sailing, before altering bulkheads and adding lots of new gear and weight to your boat.

Look forward to following your story. You have certainly started the summer in a big way.

Fair winds and smooth seas.