Any Suggestions for Supplier for WEBASTO AC Unit?

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
Hello all,

We will be installing a Webasto FCF 16,000 Btu/hr (115 Volt) AC system on our ’84 Beneteau First 38 in the next month or so. Best price I have found so far is with the following vendor:

Marine Screens
1923 Bragg St # 140-2957
Sanford, NC 27330

www.marinescreens.com

Does anyone have experience with this supplier?

Thanks

Doug in Lakeview
1984 Beneteau First 38 – Hull #178
Belmont Harbor – Chicago

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I purchased our unit from Defender and have always had good experiences with them. They usually offer discounts during the Miami boat show even if you're ordering through their web site.

The Webasto units are good, ours has been trouble free, but their installation manual is worse than useless. I did the install per their manual and the pump wouldn't maintain prime. When I called Webasto tech support they acknowledged that "it will never work if you do the installation the way it's shown in the manual". :cussing:

When I questioned this I was told they "mostly sell to installers who don't look at the manual anyway". :evil: If I could have reached through the phone I would have killed the SOB.

That was two summers ago. Hopefully it's been fixed by now...

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
Thanks for the reply. I am not too afraid of the installation since I have had the dash out of my Jeep (to the firewall) and my old Vovlvo to replace a simple damper on the HVAC unit. Lots of hours, more than a few cuss words, etc. but it all got put back together.

I too have ordered from Defender in the past with good experience. The site I mentioned (and a few others that I did not mention) have prices about 20% less than Defender - which adds up to real $$ when buying the complete AC kit (AC unit, duct kit, and water cooling kit). Also, I have a friend who installed the same unit in his own Hunter a few years ago who can guide me if needed.

Thanks

Doug in Lakeview
1984 Beneteau First 38 – Hull #178
Belmont Harbor – Chicago

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
LOL, yeah I'll tackle pretty much anything myself, but that AC unit had me using some interesting language !

One thing to check on those other sites is shipping costs. You may find the prices are closer than you think.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Bought the very same unit, complete kit including, strainer, pump and ducting, on ebay. Saved a ton of money.

Jim, I have not started the unit up yet. Please PM me on why they say the pump didn't prime. Thanks.