Any Sailor here from Galveston?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I'm looking for general advice related to sailing, marinas, yard services, live-aboard issues, supplies, etc related to living in Galveston and as a homeport.

I'm not even 40 yet (but pretty close) and I've had my eye on Galveston as a place to call home in between sailing seasons. If I can swing it, I might invest in real estate as early as... well, now. Maybe a condo, maybe a house, but only as a foothold; I will eventually want to live aboard and sail as much as possible. I'm really interested in building my own boat, so I may be looking for commercial property rather than residential.

For anyone who sails from there and anywhere on the TX gulf coast, what do you think I should know? Where are the best yards with good travel lifts? What are the nicer marinas vs the most affordable? Any knowledge is better than what I'm at now.

I have extended family in Anahuac but I have not seen them or visited there since my Grandmother passed away almost 10 years ago.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Galveston has a rather limited suppply of marinas. I know of the Galveston Yacht Club which I have not been to and the Galveston Yacht Basin which honestly is a bit of a pit. The island itself is great! The Strand district is cool and has great resteraunts and bars and is very pedestrian friendly as far as convenience goes. No real marinas for live abaoards near there that I am aware of. As for real estate, the West end of the island is probably the best place to buy. There are a ton of options out there, houses/condos galour but depending on where you buy you could be as far as thirty -forty minutes away from Galveston proper. There are some places (condos) along the sea wall, but I've never been a fan of the whole sea wall thing there. There are also some smaller and some historic homes there. I am unaware of Yacht services in Galveston I do know the service companies in Kemah often travel to Galveston to work.

Charlie is right, if you expand your search to the Kemah/Seabrook area there are a myriad of options for live aboard. The yachting community and service industry is more centered here. There are many different marinas there are a huge number of Yacht service companies. The Seabrook Shipyard has a variety of travel lifts and can handle boats of up to 80'. There are other good size travel lifts on Clear Lake as well. In the Kemah area you are much more protected from storms and if your draft is less than about six feet the whole of Galveston Bay is yours to sail. Its 3.5 to 4 hours to Bolivar Rhoads (by sailboat) and the Gulf.

Also, for what it's worth we can sail all year round down here. Every season is sailing season !

PM me if you want to talk.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I agree with the other posts. If you want to live aboard then Kemah is where you want to be. Several good liveaboard marinas in the area. I am in Waterford Harbor and there are several live aboards on each pier. Great community. Good floating docks. Didn't lose a boat during Ike. Check out there website. As Mike stated, short drive to Galveston and easy boat ride as well to the Gulf. PM me also if you want to discuss liveaboard marinas.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I appreciate the responses... This is way long term stuff, like 5 to 7 years. I'm considering buying property now if I can rent it out until I move there.