Any sailing stories out there?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I'm wondering if anybody has been getting out and having fun this time of year maybe those Florida boys?

personally I am laying in the hospital with a new knee that they put in yesterday and all this laying around is going to get boring in a hurry. I plan on going home today but then I planned on going home yesterday. At least it doesn't hurt.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If you subscribe to any sailing magazines they often have online access. Looking forward to suggestions from other people...

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
wishing you a speedy rehab. Sailing season here is just beginning. It’s all about frame of reference.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm wondering if anybody has been getting out and having fun this time of year maybe those Florida boys?

personally I am laying in the hospital with a new knee that they put in yesterday and all this laying around is going to get boring in a hurry. I plan on going home today but then I planned on going home yesterday. At least it doesn't hurt.
I hope it is like getting a new sail... extra speed and agility. :beer:

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA

Hope you have quick recovery. Admiral had both done in within past 18 months. Follow Drs orders; don’t over do it. Keep the ice machine running to keep the pain & inflammation under control. And be sure do PT for prescribed duration. You will be good to go in a few weeks. Good luck!

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I was looking for sailing stories.
You'll have to dream of last summer and plan for next summer while you recover, Ken. Read a good yarn called "Sea Trial" while sailing last summer, about circumnavigating Vancouver Island.
Hope your recovery goes well!

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Ken, hope you feel better soon. It's not much, but here goes.
Went with a buddy on his Potter 19 the other day. He lives on a small creek off Dog River. We started out about 0830 motoring out of the creek into Dog River. The wind was nice, but directly out of the east, so we had to motor out to the bay. Turner Marine is always a fun place to pass - often with something unusual to view.
IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
It's about 0900 by the time we make it out, blowing 11-15 ENE pretty steady. My buddy decided to go with his small jib and full main. The cast iron keel and hard chines keep the boat at a very comfortable heel compared to my Mac 26 with water ballast and dagger board, so with steady wind and nowhere to be, we were two retired guys enjoying the day. Started off cool, low 70's, but made it into the mid 80's as the day went on. He doesn't have a Bimini, so it got a tad warm after lunch. We shared the bay with very few boats; one cabin cruiser headed out of Dog River right behind us, passing us after the bridge; a couple of crew boats running out to gaillard island; and a container ship.
IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Ken, hope you feel better soon. It's not much, but here goes.
Went with a buddy on his Potter 19 the other day. He lives on a small creek off Dog River. We started out about 0830 motoring out of the creek into Dog River. The wind was nice, but directly out of the east, so we had to motor out to the bay. Turner Marine is always a fun place to pass - often with something unusual to view.
View attachment 170880
View attachment 170881
Thanks, knowing I'm going to be down for a month or two I had to winterize ours.

Ken

Ken

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It's about 0900 by the time we make it out, blowing 11-15 ENE pretty steady. My buddy decided to go with his small jib and full main. The cast iron keel and hard chines keep the boat at a very comfortable heel compared to my Mac 26 with water ballast and dagger board, so with steady wind and nowhere to be, we were two retired guys enjoying the day. Started off cool, low 70's, but made it into the mid 80's as the day went on. He doesn't have a Bimini, so it got a tad warm after lunch. We shared the bay with very few boats; one cabin cruiser headed out of Dog River right behind us, passing us after the bridge; a couple of crew boats running out to gaillard island; and a container ship.
View attachment 170882
View attachment 170883
Nice. We had a Mac 26D for 9 years. It was tinder in light winds then really firmed up at about 10 degrees. Then we fell prey to standing headroom.

Also we never saw more than 75f in our August Salish Sea adventure.

Ken

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
We sailed south from Dog River channel and went west of Gaillard island. Then tacked east along the south side of the island. This year's crop of pelicans were out enjoying the day. Gaillard island was built using dredge spoil from ship channel maintenance. The environmentalists were initially against it, but it has turned into a real benefit for the bird population, so I think everyone now agrees it worked out well for all concerns.
There were several trackhoes and dozers working on the island. Some moving dirt and others running bush hog attachments along the berm. One of the dozers was dragging a fuel skid along the berm stirring up a small dust wake, but none of the birds seemed to care.
IMG_2148.JPG

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My daughter and I made 2 trips last week, Alabama is finally not an oven

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We sailed south from Dog River channel and went west of Gaillard island. Then tacked east along the south side of the island. This year's crop of pelicans were out enjoying the day. Gaillard island was built using dredge spoil from ship channel maintenance. The environmentalists were initially against it, but it has turned into a real benefit for the bird population, so I think everyone now agrees it worked out well for all concerns.
There were several trackhoes and dozers working on the island. Some moving dirt and others running bush hog attachments along the berm. One of the dozers was dragging a fuel skid along the berm stirring up a small dust wake, but none of the birds seemed to care.
View attachment 170884
Nice, we have an island made that way (Jetty Island) that is a popular picnic spot in the summer because the city provides a free ferry in summer. It is an animal sanctuary so do dogs.

Ken

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I was out on the Hudson yesterday with predicted winds of 2-3 mph with a 2 hour window with 5 mph. Went out anyway as floating about on the river is much better than sitting at a desk writing about sailing as I am doing right now. The winds were generally out of the south east but an unusual funneling effect made the day one of the most memorable in a while. The Hudson narrows north of Stony Point where the Hudson Highlands begin. A fiord with small mountains on both sides extending north to West Point. Once out of the barely wind making 0.5 kts, entered the canyon where the winds picked up to 10-15 mph without gusting. The boat accelerated to hull speed on a beat without much heel (>15 degrees). I passed two 30 foot Catalina's like they were standing still. As soon as the wind picked up I tightened all the sails flat and flew the 22 footer for almost an hour till the wind died. I never got this or any boat to hull speed on a beat like yesterday. I can't get the grin off my face. Only 2 weeks left til the boat comes out for the winter. This one hour will stay with me til spring launching. The key to the performance was how well the sails flattened yet kept an appropriate draft to provide the speed. On the Hudson I find the variability of the wind speed usually results in constant sail adjustments, difficult when you are solo, or less that optimum sail shape for the usually wide variation in wind speed and direction around the mountains. Yesterdays consistent winds in the canyon gave me the most thrilling ride ever.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
After tacking for a good while, we finally made the southeast corner of the island and headed northwest back toward Dog River. We eventually got on a WNW heading and ran wing on wing using a makeshift pole on the jib. Seas were a little big for the 19 to take following, so the tiller required a good bit of attention. Also, the heat of the day was on us with no shade, and we were running. We got the wake of the container ship during this leg, but were far enough away that it was uneventful. We could see the waves breaking on Gaillard shore when it passed there and were glad we had been able to avoid taking the wake any closer.

Lunch was sandwiches and snicker bars, and as it was still early in the day, and quite warm, we stuck with water as our beverage of choice.

The wind held so we were able to sail all of the way back through the bridge, and upriver to the mouth of his creek.

I believe this photo was on the Lee side of the island. The wind stayed fairly good but seas were nicer. There was some rain to our SW and E, but we didn't have any very close.

Not much excitement, but a beautiful day on the water.

IMG_2141.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Heal well.

In the meantime, here is a race recap I just posted .

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Ken, per your request:

We managed to get out this past Saturday for another moonlit sail.
It has finally cooled off here from daily temperatures in the mid to upper 90"s.
Knowing that the wind was forecast to diminish later in the afternoon, we (my wife and I) intended to set sail about 3:00 and play around with the spinnaker until just before dark, drop anchor then try out our new grill with some tasty steaks from our recently butchered cow.

She had a few errands to run, so I went to the boat early to replace one of the hoses on the head and clean up the boat a little. Since we hadn't been to the boat in a while, there was quite a bit more cleaning than I had anticipated. Once the cleaning was finished to what I expected to be to my wife's satisfaction, I started to work on the hose replacement. Upon removing the hose, I found an issue I couldn't resolve.

I then made the mistake of going up on the docks to get other boat owners opinions. Since I hadn't been to the marina in a while, they had to first catch me up on all of the goings on I had missed. Before they were finished with their sea stories, my wife appeared ready to sail. Big whoops! Even though she was 2 hours past our intended departure time, I didn't have the boat ready.
Second big mistake, we set sail anyway without me informing her of the status of the head.

It turned out to be a nice evening for a sail, the wind didn't die off as forecasted and the temperature was pleasant. Ever since I got this boat several years ago, I had never been able to get all of the mainsail leech telltales flying as easily as I could on my previous boat. I finally gave up realizing that I just had old sails that needed replacing. Thinking back on previous threads I had read on the subject got me to pondering of other options to try. What finally worked was cranking in on the mainsheet extra tight and letting out on the traveler. Wow! That was the ticket! The difference I did notice was that I had to pay closer attention to the helm or the boat speed would drop off quicker with this configuration.

When the sun started getting low, it was time to drop anchor and try out our new grill. The steaks came out excellent, a little over done for my taste, but that is how the wife likes them so I considered it an excellent job. As the moon started to rise, we enjoyed a few beverages to top off the evening.

1571242461719.png

Before we got too far along, I decided I had better come clean about the head repairs. (or lack there of)
Her first question was how long until we get back to shore. Not wanting to miss out on my long anticipated moonlit sail, I informed her it would be several hours. Of course that wasn't good enough. I then informed her that even if we motored back it would still be at least 30 minutes. Without her saying specifically, I realized what she was getting at, so I told her that I had a wash bucket in the lazarette. Shortening up the story, that was her first time using a bucket on a boat. As embarrassing as it was for her to use, it would be even worse for me to empty it for her, so I went forward to raise the anchor while she took care of her business. Next thing I heard was honey, we have a problem. I couldn't imagine what it could be. I have the anchor half way up and she needs my attention immediately at the back of the boat. I tied off the anchor rode where it was and went aft to find she hadn't held on to the lanyard when trying to rinse out the bucket.

OK, now we have a simulated MOB drill. I explained that to her and her role is to keep a eye on the bucket while I finished stowing the anchor and got the boat turned around. She did an excellent job of keeping me informed of the buckets location as I turned the boat around and we went on to finish the evening with another great moonlit sail.

Overall a great evening, I learned some things useful, she can now call herself a real sailor, and I have a great story that she won't ever let me tell to her friends. Thanks for listening my sailing friends!