Any S2 8.5 owners?

Sep 9, 2024
S2 8.5 Corpus Cristi
We have been preparing our S2 8.5 for a long drive down to Texas. I was just wondering if anyone uses straps when towing and what are you best practice habits for a long tow?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Use the wider 2 or 3" truck straps. They stretch less and on my 19' boat the bigger straps made it tow better as the boat wasn't bouncing on the trailer as much. Simple configurations work best for ratchet straps. Stop after the first two or three miles do double check your straps. Do the same after 20+ miles and then whenever you stop. By the second check everything should remain tight.
Your vehicle needs to be able to handle the weight of the trailer to avoid fishtailing and keep the weight on your truck's front tires for braking. Add a leaf springs can be a cheap way to help with this. If you're new to towing, or your vehicle doesn't have good mirrors, you can buy some that strap on. They might also help you stay centered in your lane better if you're not used to driving a wide vehicle. Driving in the right lane can give you some piece of mind in the event that you accidentally veer close to the right side of the lane. Give yourself plenty of distance for emergency braking. Watch your speed to avoid fishtailing and think about sailing when the drive seems long.

Sep 9, 2024
S2 8.5 Corpus Cristi
Thanks, she is big at 28 feet just the boat not including the trailer and mast. The tow vehicle is a newer Ram 2500 longbed I use for a travel trailer so no problems there. If possible, maybe just wrap the straps all the way around the boat? The S2 8.5 seems to be the perfect pocket cruiser because the teak interior is very nice with a wet head, galley and plenty of room generally.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Yep, I see the straps wrapped around the top of the boat to the trailer frame often. I've done it myself as well with no damage to my teak toe rail. The 2500 pickup should tow it nicely

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Know your trailer/boat heights. Avoid low clearance issues, especially off the Interstate.