Any S2 5.5 left out there

Jul 22, 2013
Com-Pac Horizon Cat Holland
There are lots of large S2's but not my little dingy (18 ft - built 1983)

I bought this from a Charity, She is pretty good shape to start out in boat ownership. I am looking for some advise on the center board (enclosed trunk), it seems to be really difficult to raise and lower and hard to tell if it all of the way down....I don't see how to get at the connection to the line so pulling so hard concerns me. I cannot put it down on the trailer so...looks like a snorkle operation for summer to clean this from underneath.

Also any insiders advise sailing her. Getting anxious for spring.

Thanks, Cheryl

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
There are lots of large S2's but not my little dingy (18 ft - built 1983)

I bought this from a Charity, She is pretty good shape to start out in boat ownership. I am looking for some advise on the center board (enclosed trunk), it seems to be really difficult to raise and lower and hard to tell if it all of the way down....I don't see how to get at the connection to the line so pulling so hard concerns me. I cannot put it down on the trailer so...looks like a snorkle operation for summer to clean this from underneath.

Also any insiders advise sailing her. Getting anxious for spring.

Thanks, Cheryl
how much does your s2 weigh?

you may be able to block it up off the trailer and pull the trailer out from under it and then do he work you need to do ...but be sure you have it sound on the blocking while under there working as to not let it fall on you ...get some barrels like 55 gallon drums and some coo 4x4's to support the boat ...make sure the 4x4's are in good shape and have no knots are breaking points in the middle of the span from barrel to barrel....

hope this helps...

regards

woody

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The 5.5 is rather unique for S2 as the centerboard does not lift straight up and down, but pivots. Like many boat of this design, it is possible for the board (or more likely the inside of the trunk) to accumulate marine growth and gunk. Cleaning it is the first step.

Forget trying to do this on the trailer. Dangerous and not even the best way. Pull the boat to a beach and while in shallow water pull the mast down and over with the halyard. With no one in the boat and the board up, it will come over easily; this is the standard way to get to the bottom of small centerboard boats. When its about 70 degrees tilted, release the board cleats and pull the board out. Now you can clean away. Mark the lines with a sharpie so you can tell where they are.

The other possible explanation is the the board has split and is swollen. That will be a more expensive problem to solve.

Jul 22, 2013
Not that heavy but...not able to bench press my half

She weighs 600 lb. so I wont be lifting up my end....but your suggestion to block it up is good, not sure there still will be enough room without hoisting up higher.

Jul 22, 2013
I like this idea, but not sure what you mean about marking the lines with a sharpie...The lines to raise and lower on the top of the trunk to keep yourself straight which is up and down. I had not thought of the Center board being split and swollen, that is a possibility, but fortunately the boat was not stored in the water, so I am hoping that is a cleaning issue. Is there any lubrication that I should apply...or if cleaned up (and intact) should move more freely. Also worried that the line should be replaced as I have replaced all others due to dry rot - Cheryl Z.

The 5.5 is rather unique for S2 as the centerboard does not lift straight up and down, but pivots. Like many boat of this design, it is possible for the board (or more likely the inside of the trunk) to accumulate marine growth and gunk. Cleaning it is the first step.

Forget trying to do this on the trailer. Dangerous and not even the best way. Pull the boat to a beach and while in shallow water pull the mast down and over with the halyard. When its about 70 degrees tilted, release the board cleat and pull it out. Now you can clean away. Mark the lines with a sharpie so you can tell where they are.

The other possible explanation is the the board has split and is swollen. That will be a more expensive problem to solve.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I like this idea, but not sure what you mean about marking the lines with a sharpie...The lines to raise and lower on the top of the trunk to keep yourself straight which is up and down. I had not thought of the Center board being split and swollen, that is a possibility, but fortunately the boat was not stored in the water, so I am hoping that is a cleaning issue. Is there any lubrication that I should apply...or if cleaned up (and intact) should move more freely. Also worried that the line should be replaced as I have replaced all others due to dry rot - Cheryl Z.
When you get it over on her side and the board is all the way down, mark the lines when they come out of the trunk. Then when you are back on the water, you will know the board is down when the line pulls so the mark on the line is back on the trunk.

Sadly board cracking can happen to any boat no matter how it is stored. Once water is in, the foam core swells. Winters are even worse for them them; the water freezes and widens the cracks.

It is always a good idea to check the condition of these lines when you have the boat over. Once you do this once it will become old hat for you and a partner. It is also a good way to clean the bottom.

Jul 4, 2014
S2 5.5 trailered
I have a 5.5 as well and did this a few years ago. Were you able to get it accomplished? I had to rebuild the wooden swing board assembly. Not too bad. I dropped the boat in the water, swung the keel down, and was able to unscrew the assembly and pull the whole thing out. It's heavy! To reinstall, I blocked the trailer wheels, pulled the boat back and rested the tail on blocking, was able to get the boat high enough to drop the rebuilt swing board assembly (that's probably not the right name for it) down into the boat. Looked like new at that point. I let it sit unprotected a couple of years so I'm redoing it yet again this weekend. Good to see another S2 5.5 out there.

Jul 22, 2013
I have photos of my rebuild if you want them. Best of luck.
boot2165, I would love to see your pictures and hear about your repairs. I have my little S2 on lake Macatawa in holland, mi...took her to Saugatuck and back this weekend with favorable winds. She needs some love and care this winter. I have lots of questions, as a first time boat owner...so let me know if it is okay to bug you.

Jul 4, 2014
S2 5.5 trailered
Happy to help

boot2165, I would love to see your pictures and hear about your repairs. I have my little S2 on lake Macatawa in holland, mi...took her to Saugatuck and back this weekend with favorable winds. She needs some love and care this winter. I have lots of questions, as a first time boat owner...so let me know if it is okay to bug you.

I'm not going to claim expert status but I am happy to help. I'll send you some before and afters if you like. I have to finish up a new wooden top for my swing keel. Should be able to get that done this weekend and then I'll be ready for the water again. Boat maintenance never ends. Happy sailing.
MB

Jul 22, 2013
Thanks MB. Look forward to it. My center board trunk wooden top needs to be replaced too.

Brewvy

Sep 15, 2014
S2 5.5 Madison
Hi I just picked up a 5.5 last weekend. Unfortunatly its incomplete. I got a good deal but it has a lost rudder(not easy to find).I was looking for size specifics for possibly having to build one. It also is missing the masthead. Could any of you fellow owners share some information,any help would be great.
Thanks, also any advice on mainsheet rigging,there are many variations, but which one is stock/ appropriate for this boat,my boat does not have a block on top of the centerboard housing.

Jul 22, 2013
S2 5.5 main sheet

I put a picture of my S2 5.5, she is rigged the way the folks at Strictly Sail instructed me, since I got her used and like you did not have "manual" or anyone with the same boat. I don't think much was ever done to mine. She was used in a church camp before I got it and set outside on the trailer for a while. The rudder works fine, the tiller and is in rough shape but my son made me a new one I will put on this winter. The center board keeps getting stuck and it is hard to tell if it is down. A good suggestion was to mark the line and since it has popped out while sailing that helped a lot - thanks Jackdaw.

The luff edge of my main sail is about 6 inches short of going all of the way up do to shrinkage of the cord, I am considering raising the boom as it would make the sailing easier. I am sailing the main loose footed to accommodate that.

I need to work on the center board trunk this winter, everyone comments on my little girl. when we are out. She is stable and a good size to have for 2-4 people day sailing.

If you need me to send you dimensions on the rudder let me know. That should be easy to fashion.

Good luck! Cheryl Z.

Attachments

SELou

Sep 29, 2014
Tartan Ten Lake Lanier
Replacement Rudders

Hi I just picked up a 5.5 last weekend. Unfortunatly its incomplete. I got a good deal but it has a lost rudder(not easy to find).I was looking for size specifics for possibly having to build one. It also is missing the masthead. Could any of you fellow owners share some information,any help would be great.
Thanks, also any advice on mainsheet rigging,there are many variations, but which one is stock/ appropriate for this boat,my boat does not have a block on top of the centerboard housing.
I'm sure this outfit can provide you with a replacement rudder as good or better than the original. Give them a call.
http://www.ruddercraft.com/catalog/index.php

Jul 4, 2014
S2 5.5 trailered
After further review, I see that my documentation was not the best on the centerboard. Regardless, photographs I have are attached. They document when I bought the boat and cleaned it up.
I replaced the lines and cleaned up the hull and it came out pretty decent. I copied the existing CB teak piece using Jatoba wood, which worked well. Unfortunately, I let it weather so here I am doing it again. Not complete yet, still need to finish the woodwork, buy some new rope, and screw it into place. Some thoughts:

Initially I dropped the boat in water to rotate the CB and pull it out. This time I'm contemplating just attaching the trailer to my truck, sliding the boat back on the trailer just a bit to clear a crossbeam on the trailer, jacking up the trailer and placing blocking under each wheel to get enough clearance to rotate the CB and pull it out. I'm thinking 18-20" under each wheel should be enough. Sounds scary, but I think I have the right gear to do it safely.

The rope is easy to replace and just knots on either end in a recess of the CB. My centerboard had some chipping and separation as well. I'll try to repair with some resin this go round. My CB slid in and out easily for the repair.

My hull seems to have spread a bit when I bought the boat, misaligning the door to the cuddy cabin. Hasn't gotten worse since I bought it though. I reworked the lock to make it functional and moved on. It's more cosmetic as far as I can see and doesn't seemed to have affected the structural integrity of the boat.

The original teak piece had split and I pretty much just duplicated it. I should have made some changes. My change this time is to make the entire piece wider to make sure the wood doesn't split where the screws attach it to the hull. My original fix split over time. You can increase overall width maybe 3/4 of an inch and it will still fit on the center well. Only the area where you split the cuddy has to be near original width. Keep it as wide as you can to avoid splitting. I don't have a picture of my original finished job, but I'm going to brag on myself and say it looked pretty darn good.

Instead of natural wood I'm going to try composite deck material from Lowes. Much cheaper than teak or jatoba and easy to work. Built for bad weather and doesn't need finishing. See the attached photo I just took with my original fix on the left, my first try in middle, a raw piece of deck on the right. I made a routing error in a lower hole on the first try piece (see the lower rope hole) so I'm going to try one more time. The decking is too thick so you'll need to plane it. I left mine a bit thicker and recessed some of the hardware to get it to work. If you're proficient to some degree in woodworking this piece is not hard but it takes time.

Some of my original screw holes were stripped out, where the teak attached to the hull. I refilled them with resin, drilled new pilot holes, then made a template out of 1/8 plexiglass so I could see exactly where to drill holes. It worked well and my new piece, when done, should fit perfectly. I could send you a paper copy of the template rolled up perhaps.

As far as sailing, I'm a rookie and have sailed no other boats. I will tell you that I have had a lot of fun sailing this boat and I find it easy. I even flipped it over once and was able to right it by myself.

Attachments

Jul 22, 2013
What a recovery!

After further review, I see that my documentation was not the best on the centerboard. Regardless, photographs I have are attached. They document when I bought the boat and cleaned it up.
I replaced the lines and cleaned up the hull and it came out pretty decent. I copied the existing CB teak piece using Jatoba wood, which worked well. Unfortunately, I let it weather so here I am doing it again. Not complete yet, still need to finish the woodwork, buy some new rope, and screw it into place. Some thoughts:

Initially I dropped the boat in water to rotate the CB and pull it out. This time I'm contemplating just attaching the trailer to my truck, sliding the boat back on the trailer just a bit to clear a crossbeam on the trailer, jacking up the trailer and placing blocking under each wheel to get enough clearance to rotate the CB and pull it out. I'm thinking 18-20" under each wheel should be enough. Sounds scary, but I think I have the right gear to do it safely.

The rope is easy to replace and just knots on either end in a recess of the CB. My centerboard had some chipping and separation as well. I'll try to repair with some resin this go round. My CB slid in and out easily for the repair.

My hull seems to have spread a bit when I bought the boat, misaligning the door to the cuddy cabin. Hasn't gotten worse since I bought it though. I reworked the lock to make it functional and moved on. It's more cosmetic as far as I can see and doesn't seemed to have affected the structural integrity of the boat.

The original teak piece had split and I pretty much just duplicated it. I should have made some changes. My change this time is to make the entire piece wider to make sure the wood doesn't split where the screws attach it to the hull. My original fix split over time. You can increase overall width maybe 3/4 of an inch and it will still fit on the center well. Only the area where you split the cuddy has to be near original width. Keep it as wide as you can to avoid splitting. I don't have a picture of my original finished job, but I'm going to brag on myself and say it looked pretty darn good.

Instead of natural wood I'm going to try composite deck material from Lowes. Much cheaper than teak or jatoba and easy to work. Built for bad weather and doesn't need finishing. See the attached photo I just took with my original fix on the left, my first try in middle, a raw piece of deck on the right. I made a routing error in a lower hole on the first try piece (see the lower rope hole) so I'm going to try one more time. The decking is too thick so you'll need to plane it. I left mine a bit thicker and recessed some of the hardware to get it to work. If you're proficient to some degree in woodworking this piece is not hard but it takes time.

Some of my original screw holes were stripped out, where the teak attached to the hull. I refilled them with resin, drilled new pilot holes, then made a template out of 1/8 plexiglass so I could see exactly where to drill holes. It worked well and my new piece, when done, should fit perfectly. I could send you a paper copy of the template rolled up perhaps.

As far as sailing, I'm a rookie and have sailed no other boats. I will tell you that I have had a lot of fun sailing this boat and I find it easy. I even flipped it over once and was able to right it by myself.
--------
I am impressed. I need to do this as well this winter. I would love it if you could send the template. I would happily reimburse you. My mail is delivered to P.O. Box 60, Kings Mills Ohio 45034. I have the boat in my garage for the winter. I should fix some chips on the center board. I wanted to block it up to bottom paint it, since it leave it in the water in Holland Mi all summer. I too have the faded red finish and it won't come back with buffing. I saw a blue one that was for sale in Texas, maybe it was painted.

I am going to raise the boom 6 inches to achieve two things....one my main has shrunk and this would help get it to the top...and if I am not buying a new sail this will make it easier to get under.

I don't try to sail alone, as a beginner I am to unsure. Do use the jib or fore sail when single handed sail? I think you could bring the sheets back to a second set of cleats but my sail is always getting hung up crossing over.

I use the cuddly to leave old jackets, anchor and stuff on the boat, but things mildewed since water will run under the door in a rain.

Additionally I put a motor mount on for a small 4 horsepower 4 stroke someone gave me. Note if you do that consider the starboard side, mine is port as is the cutty door, so sitting in the water with engine mounted may cause the door on the low side. I also added a topping lift for the boom, is helpful when moored or motoring.

When you went over were you in high winds ...gusts... Or just a fluke? I don't go out if winds are greater than 12 knots.

A lot of lake Macatawa is only 10-15 ft.

Thanks for the photos and please send me the template.

Jul 4, 2014
S2 5.5 trailered
More CB talk

--------
I am impressed. I need to do this as well this winter. I would love it if you could send the template. I would happily reimburse you. My mail is delivered to P.O. Box 60, Kings Mills Ohio 45034. I have the boat in my garage for the winter. I should fix some chips on the center board. I wanted to block it up to bottom paint it, since it leave it in the water in Holland Mi all summer. I too have the faded red finish and it won't come back with buffing. I saw a blue one that was for sale in Texas, maybe it was painted.

I am going to raise the boom 6 inches to achieve two things....one my main has shrunk and this would help get it to the top...and if I am not buying a new sail this will make it easier to get under.

I don't try to sail alone, as a beginner I am to unsure. Do use the jib or fore sail when single handed sail? I think you could bring the sheets back to a second set of cleats but my sail is always getting hung up crossing over.

I use the cuddly to leave old jackets, anchor and stuff on the boat, but things mildewed since water will run under the door in a rain.

Additionally I put a motor mount on for a small 4 horsepower 4 stroke someone gave me. Note if you do that consider the starboard side, mine is port as is the cutty door, so sitting in the water with engine mounted may cause the door on the low side. I also added a topping lift for the boom, is helpful when moored or motoring.

When you went over were you in high winds ...gusts... Or just a fluke? I don't go out if winds are greater than 12 knots.

Cheryl,
Here's a follow up that i sent recently about CB removal. Sorry I've been slow on this. Life gets in the way of sailing. I'll get the template copied and send it to you. It may not be perfect but I'm thinking it should be close.

The CB is attached to a yoke, I think it's made of stainless steel. The yoke/fork does have a center pivot point but I don't remember if it's a removable bolt. Common sense tells me it must be a bolt of some sort. The yoke drops down into a slot in the hull and hangs there. The CB cap/wooden cover bolts to the yoke and will lift the yoke up just a bit so it doesn't bottom out in the slot. To remove the CB, you cut the rope so that you can remove the teak piece that has cleats. The teak piece is bolted to the yoke, You'll have to lift the CB assembly up slightly and block it, then use wrenches/phillips to disconnect yoke from teak cover (2 bolts), then teak cover is removed and separated. You rotate the CB down fully, grab the yoke and pull straight up, CB will slide right out. Eat your Wheaties, it's a heavy bugger. Installation was no problem and you just use a new section of rope, knotted on each end as a stopper in indents in the CB. Slide CB in, bolt teak piece to CB, drop CB down and screw teak to trunk. I am contemplating using some silicone lube on the sides of the trunk to decrease friction.

For normal storage or transit, the CB sits on one of the trailer bumpers so doesn't need to be cleated up. For launching, I cleat up the CB and pull it tight, you can hear it bump into the top of the truck. Complete the boat launch and release the cleat, dropping the CB down into position, then cleating on the other side to hold the CB in the down position.

Jul 4, 2014
S2 5.5 trailered
--------

Forgot to talk about going over:
I had taken a friend ( my boss). It was cold weather and wind was 15-20 mph and gusting. We did pretty well for about 45 min but I got complacent. You can see the gusts coming as they work across the surface, I just didn't think this one was that bad. I'm guessing a 30mph gust and it rotated us very fast. I should have uncleated prior to but lost my mind. I couldn't uncleat as we went over so I was really screwed. The boat turned turtle, sailing pointing at the bottom. We ended up standing on the hull holding the CB for a while. I told my buddy to swim for shore, which wasn't that far away. He was very cold. Both of us had life jackets on. Rotating the boat was very hard because the sail was working against the water, I still couldn't free it. I was finally able to rotate it over and get it back up. She was swamped but floated well, I ran up the main sail and sailed her over to shore. Lesson learned. Keep a sharp eye and uncleat before it hits! Better to have to reset your sails than deal with a knockdown. My boss and I laugh to this day about it. Really, I wasn't trying to kill him......

rsafr

Apr 19, 2010
S2 5.5 Grand Slam Lake Allatoona
Thanks to all for some great information on the 5.5. O too own a 1982 model and have sailed it lightly first on Nebraska and now in North Atlanta area. Information on the CB was very helpful. This is a project I've been putting off for too long. Looks like "fun". I'd like to get some details on the yoke piece and how long did it take you to do the job? For me its more of just cleaning it up but I do need to replace the line as its original. I have a marketing brochure /manual with mine id be happy to scan for anyone.
Regarding the rudder, I last mine years ago and got a replacement made at Johnson Boatworks in White Bear Lake, MN including a tiller.
Has anyone figured out a good way to raise the mast and secure the fore line / wire to the bow without it being a major pull and chore?
Maybe with this small community we can keep sharing and learning.
Rich

Jul 22, 2013
Thanks to all for some great information on the 5.5. O too own a 1982 model and have sailed it lightly first on Nebraska and now in North Atlanta area. Information on the CB was very helpful. This is a project I've been putting off for too long. Looks like "fun". I'd like to get some details on the yoke piece and how long did it take you to do the job? For me its more of just cleaning it up but I do need to replace the line as its original. I have a marketing brochure /manual with mine id be happy to scan for anyone.
Regarding the rudder, I last mine years ago and got a replacement made at Johnson Boatworks in White Bear Lake, MN including a tiller.
Has anyone figured out a good way to raise the mast and secure the fore line / wire to the bow without it being a major pull and chore?
Maybe with this small community we can keep sharing and learning.
Rich
Rich, The information I have gotten off the web site has been really helpful and I have my boat home in the garage for some Winter upgrades. My son bought me a ladder to get back in the boat that is supposed to be for small dingy's and will be out of the way. I had to have the transom fortified for the motor mount so hopefully this will not be an issue. I plan to pull the center board based on the help that I got from the users on the site, but my trailer is inhibiting my removal and so plan to get some more help from a friends better equipped garage. I would love to get a scan of the owners manual. I left it in the water all last summer so did not struggle with the mast, but has been a two person operation.

The issue with keeping it in the water has been a small amount of leakage between the hull and the deck, but mostly the humidity and moisture in the Cuddy created a mold issue. Will take it out to clean mid season this year.

Plan to raise my boom 6 inches since the main has shrank and more room for my passengers to duck would be a plus. I often have folks who have never been on a sail boat before.

We can have a small active group. Let me know if you want to exchange info for faster communication.

Sailing in Lake Macatawa and Lake Michigan on calm days.

Cheryl ZZ