Any O'Day 290 Owners Out There?

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
There's only 8 of us. It might be nice to know who to swap notes with.

Don

Biddeford, ME

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I think the 290 was a 272 hull but built by Pearson....it had an aft head and circular (semi) dinette. Pat

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
CAL28_ad_small.jpg O'DAY 290_Ad.jpg o'day_280_drawing.jpg Pat, Close.... but not quite! The 280 was basically a 272 with a different deck and interior, it was sort-of a further development of the 272 LE and was introduced in 1988, 2 years before PEARSON re-started limited production of some O'DAYs (Pearson-O'DAY production ended in February 1991). I don't think Pearson built any 280s, in fact.... I don't know how many O'DAYs Pearson built at all, other than the above mentioned (8) 290s, a couple of 322s, possibly a couple of 240s, and several Day Sailer IIIs.
The O'DAY 290 was introduced in late 1990 as the first (and I think ONLY) "NEW" O'DAY design introduced by PEARSON. The O'Day 290 was an updated version of the 1986-89 CAL 28 (aka CAL 28-2 to separate her from the earlier. mid-1960's CAL 28 designed by Bill Lapworth) The CAL 28-2 / O'DAY 290 was designed by C. Raymond Hunt Associates and the redesign from CAL 28 to O'DAY 290 was the transom was redesigned to include a molded-in swim step/boarding platform (like on the O'DAY 31 and 35, redesigned versions of the 30 and 34). The interior basically stayed the same on the 290 as it was on the CAL 28.
I have attached the introductory ads for the CAL 28, O'DAY 290, and a drawing of the 280.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Thanks Sunbird for setting me straight....? I was getting a ton of stuff; circulars from Pearson, etc. during that time when O'day was going down....I kept the advertisements but cannot find them in my basement with out going thru a ton
of boxes......I do have the documents concerning the liquidation of the corporate assets of O'Day Corp. including the
debt, etc...but it is online for anyone to read. Enjoy the holidays, Patrick

Nov 29, 2021
O'Day 28 Milwaukee
Hello, what are the thoughts of buying an O'day 290 with so few being made? I am looking at both a 28 or 290. The 28 has a lot more info and costs less along with people helping each other on the forums. Both boats look to be in very good shape.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hey BK Welcome to the SBO forum.
Many believe, that best purchase is the boat that is the newest. The 290 being made only from 1989 to 1990 no listing as to the number manufactured. The 28 records 544 boats during their production. The 28 was built until 1986.

Either way, you will get help from boat owners that may own other makes here on SBO. Boats are not like cars. All manufacturers use many different parts manufactures to build their boat.

Good luck with your search. Choose the one that fits your eye and your needs.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Looked online at a 290, and you can likely glean support from cal 28 owners. Good looking boat.

The 28 is a great big 'little' boat. Easy to manage, and i miss the desk, so easy to navigate with wide decks and simple and flat coach roof. Sailed to windward well. 28s are also known for solid builds.

Nov 29, 2021
O'Day 28 Milwaukee
Thank you both for your replies. I did find out a little more about the 290, the sales person was upfront with me and said she needs more work then the pictures let on. I am going to go with the 28. This is my first sailboat so this process is new to me. I have been doing a lot of research which has been very interesting. I am looking forward to working on her she is in good shape and had a good survey but needs some TLC. I am going to have the motor serviced over the winter but not sure what all to have them do or look at. She has a Universal 12. I will be talking to service department tomorrow and see what they say. That’s the first time that I’ve interacted on forums as well so if this is better posted somewhere else let me know.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This is my first sailboat so this process is new to me.
It can be a bit of a daunting experience.

she is in good shape and had a good survey
I hope that the survey was on that you purchased not provided by the seller. Sounds like the boat may be on land, were you able to test the boat systems in the water before the contract was completed?