Any new ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Palo

1. Ok, I can always get my rub-rails clean with acetone and a clean rag...does anyone know how to keep it that way, at least for a half of a season? 2. What kind of lube works best for the shift and throtle cables? 3. My 29.5 is a 95' and the anchor roller is mostly painted white. It's been peeling since the day I got it. Has anyone re-painted this successfully? 4. Has anyone installed a seperate shift control? I have always read that many 29.5 owner's hate the "all-in-one" model as I do. The throtle never stays where you put it. 5. How bout' the sun light behind the companion way hatch? I haven't seen light through that thing since Clinton's first term. Anyone ever pull that out and re-bed it? Hey, I love my boat. I just have a few complaints. Anyone's input would be much appreciated.

D

Dan

29.5 Quirks

Mike: The anchor roller is a pain. Easily solved. Went to the auto part store and got a small bottle of touch-up paint (I think it was GM or Oldsmobile white). Not a perfect match but at 5 feet away no one can see the difference compared to the peeling paint. It's a spring ritual - touch-up the anchor roller. Shift control - Keep the single control (I personally think they are great!). Go to your favorite marine supply store and ask for a throttle control clamp. It is a small clamp about an inch long that you apply to the throttle cable near the engine. You tighten down the small bolt on the clamp until the throttle quits moving by itself. Don't tighten too tight. Put one on my boat in April of 1995 and have not had a problem with the throttle moving by itself since - never had to adjust it either since the installation. Maybe a 2-3 minute job to install and less that $10. Sunlight from the "Skylight" forward of the hatch - when we first got the boat we thought someone had left a piece of protective film or paper on the acrylic. I seriously thought of removing the decking to "remove the protective paper". I closed the companion way hatch and simply sprayed a water hose on the "Skylight" and the dirt came right off. Found out that the "skylight" is supposed to be frosted. If just spraying the panel with water doesn't work - go to a fish aquarium store that sells the long flexible bushes used to clean the tubing on aquariums. It should be flexible to get to the panel to help clean it. PS. Thanks for the tip on the acetone for the rub rails. I would assume that after the rails are clean, I would apply a coat of good wax to keep them relatively free from dirt - haven't tried it though, but I might after the acetone treatment.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
How about Powder Coating

I am not sure what you anchor roller is made from, but have you thought about having it powder coated. I had this done on the front and rear bumpers on a pick up truck I owned and they turned out great. The process involves removing the unit from the boat and removing the roller. The powder coating company would then strip it down and apply the powder coating. Then the bake the finish on. These units are not too big so it should not be too expensive and I think it would last.

B

Bob Zolczer

Some more ideas

Try a tennis ball to hold the throttle control - just jam it between the lever and the console. Mary Kate inflatable boat cleaner works great on the rub rails. I spray them with 303 (which I also use on the sunbrella). They stay fine for the season.

A

Alex

Some Ideas..

My white color started peeling 2 monthe after delivery..( on later models Hunter replaced that with a S.S. unit , the norm for most decent boats , in last decade or so..). I waited another year.. till it peeled away almost by itself.. then I peeled it totally, sand papered and cleaned , and brush painted it with a simple local metal paint . It looks OK( from 5 feet..) and it stays put for 3 years now.. Thank for the advise about that hatch, mine looks like camouflage color..I gave up so far.. Re trottle , I followed Dan advise, no problem last 4 years. Since 94-95 models were the begining of this first model (29.5) of a new and much changed boat , they have quite a few 'Quirks'; many could and should have been sorted out prior of boats sent to customers.. but...

J

Jim Watts

Anchor roller

My anchor "pulpit" is cast aluminum and stays fairly shiny. Am I to assume that yours (everyone who responded) are not shiny cast aluminum?

J

Joan

Re: Rub Rail Cleaning

Best product I've found is Collinite #920 Boat Cleaner. It is much easier than acetone and does a great job. I'm also a user of their heavy duty wax for the hull. On the subject of cleaners, try 222 on the non-skid, amazing results.

Status
Not open for further replies.