Any info on Lee Sails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brett

I am considering an asymmetrical cruising spinnaker for my Hunter 37.5. I have gotten a few quotes and one I received from Lee Sails was by far the lowest. Has anyone had any experience with this sail maker?

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
No Technical Info

The good news is they quote low prices, especially for the bare bones sail. However, the bad news is they can't tell you anything about what the sail is designed for. Asymetricals are designed for certain apparent wind angles and wind speeds. This is not hi-tech stuff. If one can design the sail one will have this information. However, if you ask them for it they can't or will not give it to you. By comparison, the other major sailmakers have this readily available. For example, visit the North site and they have a plethora of diagrams for their asymetricals. There isn't just one design but an infinite number of combinations available. The buyer needs to ask themself if you want just one sail and what do you want it to do? What wind angle range and wind speed do you need it for? At the North site it's easy to select the one that's best for your needs. Other major sailmakers can provide this information too. The other concern I have is the brand of sail cloth that they use. They advertise Challenge and Bainbridge but is that what you're going to get? Can you tell by looking at it what brand you got? You have to specify what you want and then do quality assurance when you get it. Doyle advertises US made sails at offshore prices. If there's an option I'd rather see the money kept here.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Ditto!

I would have to repeat John verbatum. This is always my concern too. When you order these sails from these offshore guys the prices get expensive very quickly IF you want to make any modification to what they offer as a basic sail. I also question there hardware and the actual cloth/material. If you can get the 'identical' item for the 15-25% savings that is great. Otherwise, lets keep it onshore! Yes, they will probably have a lower price. But if you do NOT get what you want, when you want it the cost savings start to dimish very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.