Any Info on Douglas Lake (TN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
I am interviewing for a job in Maryville, TN. Looking at a map, it seems Douglas Lake is the best bet for someplace to sail my O'Day 23. Does anyone have any experience on this lake, or the surrounding area?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have kayaked on Douglas Lake. Lovely lake, but they lower it WAY DOWN after summer. In fact, I called a cabin rental company and they said it is usually very low by Labor Day. Contact realtors or locals and they can tell you more. But the area is gorgeous!

Good luck with the interview.

Kermit

BI40

Jul 6, 2011
American Boatbuilding Corp. Block Island 40 Palm Coast
I had a small CD ketch on a lake just east on Nashville several years ago. While it was fun having my boat close-by, I think you might be happier where there's more open sailing and a preponderance of fresh breezes.

To compound the issue, the hills around Nashville are only gentle slopes, allowing for a fresh, fairly constant breeze ...maybe a dozen times each year. Douglas Lake is in the East Tennessee mountains ...will take a very tall rig to catch any wind there, in my opinion.

A quick rumb line on Google Earth puts Douglas Lake about 300 miles from Charleston, SC, in the long run you might enjoy your boat more there, or in a lake that's not surrounded by mountains.

Feb 5, 2011
Irwin Mark IV Concord Yacht Club
Douglas is a good lake to fish but not so much for sailing. If you're moving to Maryville, your best options are Fort Loudon and Watts Bar with Watts Bar being the better of the two. I live on Watts Bar but have my 28.5 at the Concord Yacht Club on Fort Loudon.

Sep 24, 2006
Sabre 36 Express Chattanooga, TN
East Tennessee Lakes

As a lifelong East Tennessee sailor, I agree with Christian about Watts Bar being the best sailing lake near Maryville. Douglas Lake is the closer, but has low water levels and very poor wind because it is blocked by the Great Smoky Mountains. Watts Bar is only slightly further from Maryville than Douglas. Blue Springs Marina on Watts Bar is home to the Horizon Sailing Club and they would welcome you with open arms. Watts Bar is deep, with decent wind most of the year (except now) and is sailor friendly.
The Concord Yacht Club in Knoxville on Ft. Loudon lake is also a good group that would welcome you. But, the sailing is better on Watts Bar.
Good luck,
Agaliha

Status
Not open for further replies.