Any ideas on what electronics to put in place of the old Apelco depth finder hole on my Catalina 22?

togara

Nov 8, 2019
Catalina ctyh8199m78D New Bern
My old Apelco depth finder is broken and there is a hole in the cockpit/cabin wall where it goes as shown with attached images. I would love to utilize this space for another handy, multifunctional device such as GPS/depth/VHF combined? The boat is a 1978 Catalina 22 with retractable keel. I'd love to get opinions on the best modern equipment to place in this location.
Catalina depth gauge hole.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Before you wait too long, seal the plywood core in the hole with some epoxy so water doesn't damage it.

The answer to your question really depends on the kind of sailing you do. A basic Raymarine or B&G knot log and depth would be generally useful. A multifunction display like a B&G Vulcan would also be a choice.

Does budget matter?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
+1 to what capta and dlochner advise...I went w/a Lowrance depth/chartplotter combo on our C22, plenty of options from a variety of mfgrs, go to WM in NB, lots on display there, then shop the GPS store online in J-ville....

check you pm's, I'm in NB as well...

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Before you wait too long, seal the plywood core in the hole with some epoxy so water doesn't damage it.

The answer to your question really depends on the kind of sailing you do. A basic Raymarine or B&G knot log and depth would be generally useful. A multifunction display like a B&G Vulcan would also be a choice.

Does budget matter?
+1 to all three of these points. In my world, I'd fill that hole, ditch the compass, and install a chartplotter.

togara

Nov 8, 2019
I'm keeping the boat covered at all times until I fill this hole. Budget is not an issue. My sailing is mostly coastal and I would like to do the Oriental to Ocracoke trip. The chartplotter sounds good. Are there any that combine with a VHF radio? I guess i'm looking to maximize space and get a combined VHF, GPS and depth finder all in one AND have it so that it can be mounted outside on the cockpit wall if possible. Not sure if there exists such a device.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I guess i'm looking to maximize space and get a combined VHF, GPS and depth finder all in one AND have it so that it can be mounted outside on the cockpit wall if possible.
You can get 2 out of 3. There are VHFs with gps and AIS receivers. The Standard Horizon Matrix 2200 does this. Instead of mounting the VHF outside, mount it inside the cabin and use a remote mic.

Take a look at the B&G Vulcan series. This is a chart plotter and can show depth and speed, not sure if you need separate instruments for the D/S. The new depth transducers have speed/depth/temperature in one through hull.

togara

Nov 8, 2019
Okay. I'll take this advice and look into these models. Thank you all!

Jun 4, 2004
-catalina -22 fresno, calif.
My old Apelco depth finder is broken and there is a hole in the cockpit/cabin wall where it goes as shown with attached images. I would love to utilize this space for another handy, multifunctional device such as GPS/depth/VHF combined? The boat is a 1978 Catalina 22 with retractable keel. I'd love to get opinions on the best modern equipment to place in this location.View attachment 171813
Put a knot-o-meter of some kind in, it will give passengers something to watch "let me know when I hit 6" ;-)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
For sailing in the Sounds I would recommend you get a Depth Meter. Keep the compass. For navigation we primarily use a portable GPS chart plotter with a built in antenna and regional maps. We like the option of taking it off its mount and storing it away from the elements and crooks. A handheld VHF will be most useful.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
You can get 2 out of 3. There are VHFs with gps and AIS receivers. The Standard Horizon Matrix 2200 does this. Instead of mounting the VHF outside, mount it inside the cabin and use a remote mic.
:plus:. Here are a few notes and pictures of ours. You can improve on my installation :)