Any ideas as to what this widget may be?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
A friend on an IPY 350 found 3 of these gizmos in a box containing spares for winches. That is not to say that these are necessarily related to winches though. They are fabricated from composite material and are approximately 6" in length and 2.5" in height. I have no idea what they may be used for and asking around to a few long in the tooth salts at the marina did not result in an answer.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Use the "Go Advanced" mode for the multiple file attachment tool at bottom of page.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Do they unsnap so they could be hung on a lifeline? Do you have three fenders? I was told a few years back the only way to find out what things are used for is to throw them away.

All U Get

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Joe: Thanks. In the past, I have not had any problems using the "Reply to Thread", "Attach Files" option to upload multiple photos from my home laptop. This particular post was submitted while at anchor (mobile data) through a different provider. I did try a number of times. Even though I "Choose" the 3 photos from my iPad and they did show, when I uploaded I ended up with only a single file attached. Maybe the total sum of the 3 attachments exceeded either the carriers allowance or the forum's max size.

All U Get: I will pass your recommendation on to my friend. I assume she would have to throw all 3 away for the this to work. There is a single screw that resides in the bottom of the cylinder part of the device. But I don't think it is meant to regularly be taken apart. Interestingly, there is an etched in number, on the underside of the device, much like a serial number.

Tom: I am not sure if she realizes that an IPY forum existed. I will let her know. Thanks.