Any drop-in replacement for the new Marinco 4" Solar Vent?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I just fitted a new (but kept in box for a year) 4" Marinco Day-Night Solar Vent to replace a ~10 year old Nicro solar vent. My new Marinco fan is working intermittently even under bright midday sun. I'm still checking to see if it is motor or battery issue. The LED Light is works just fine.
I may want to replace this Marinco with another make but it has to be a drop-in replacement. Could anyone recommend me another make of Solar Vent that fits the hole of Marinco 4" Solar Vent?
Thanks in advance.

Ken Y

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
One option is a 4" Nicro Day-Night Solar Vent (manual attached) which has a 4-/34" diameter hole size same as the 4" Marinco Day-Night Solar Vent (manual attached). These suppliers sell them.

Attachments

Oct 29, 2005
One option is a 4" Nicro Day-Night Solar Vent (manual attached) which has a 4-/34" diameter hole size same as the 4" Marinco Day-Night Solar Vent (manual attached). These suppliers sell them.

Thanks Sail sfbay, I was thinking another brand. Both Nicro and Marinco are same maker.

Ken Y

Feb 21, 2013
OK then another option is a $59 - 80 Pactrade Marine Boat Solar Powered Ventilator from Amazon OR $72 Solatron® SVT-224S - Stainless Steel Solar Ventilator with Rechargeable Battery. There are probably others. I suggest contacting Marinco for a replacement under warranty.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
+1 for try to work with vendor. Say you still have the box. The vent should still look new. Challenge them to stand behind their product.

Feb 21, 2013
Feb 21, 2013
Another $100 option from Banggood is a E01988 Marine Stainless Steel Fan Deck Ventilator Portable Solar Powered No-noise Water Resistant Home Air Extractor Vent For Boat RV Roof Automatic. Personally I would stay with major suppliers such as Marinco or Nicro sold by US chandlers, BUT I have been known by myself, to buy off-brand products.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Or, fix the vent. I have the old style (20 + years) Nicro vents. The boat came with one functioning day/night vent but the starboard fitting had been capped off. The new vents don't fit. My next door boat neighbor decided to replace his 4 dead, old style Nicro day/night vents so I asked if I could have his old ones. The motors were DOA so I disassembled them, and cleaned them out. The brushes had worn through but they otherwise looked to be in good condition. There is enough length in the brushes that allows them to be carefully reformed to work like new. I lubricated and reassembled them, and they run very well. A new C-cell battery from Home Depot and I have a second functioning solar vent, as well as a spare. One is going to another dock neighbor and the forth was already gutted so not much use.

Oct 29, 2005
Or, fix the vent. I have the old style (20 + years) Nicro vents. The boat came with one functioning day/night vent but the starboard fitting had been capped off. The new vents don't fit. My next door boat neighbor decided to replace his 4 dead, old style Nicro day/night vents so I asked if I could have his old ones. The motors were DOA so I disassembled them, and cleaned them out. The brushes had worn through but they otherwise looked to be in good condition. There is enough length in the brushes that allows them to be carefully reformed to work like new. I lubricated and reassembled them, and they run very well. A new C-cell battery from Home Depot and I have a second functioning solar vent, as well as a spare. One is going to another dock neighbor and the forth was already gutted so not much use.
I did repaired the old Nicro with new battery and motor over the years until both fan blades deteriorated and broke. Thought Marinco 4" was a drop-in replacement but alas, still need to rim-out the hole bigger. Did that now finds the fan intermittent :(
I'll look into the other brands.
Thanks for info.

Ken Y

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Did you charge the battery before using it as per the instructions? Also if the battery sat for 4 years at a low state of charge (which is how they come) maybe it’s time to replace it?

I like to swap the battery out for an EBL, much higher capacity. Put it in charged up, all my Nicro day nights have functioned flawlessly (even the one installed in 1982, still going).

Oct 29, 2005
Did you charge the battery before using it as per the instructions? Also if the battery sat for 4 years at a low state of charge (which is how they come) maybe it’s time to replace it?

I like to swap the battery out for an EBL, much higher capacity. Put it in charged up, all my Nicro day nights have functioned flawlessly (even the one installed in 1982, still going).
This Marinco was dated 21/4/2019. I assume that's the manufactured date.
As I dismantle the Marinco apart, I get more and more frustrated. Why can't they leaves well alone. The Nicro design was good. I've decided to go with another make. No more Marinco vent for me.

Ken Y

Oct 29, 2005
I looked at Pactrade and Sundance and decide that I will go with Solatek Solar Vent with Battery. Meantime, I'll make do with patch & repair on the Nicro Day/Night vent. Stripping parts (Fan blade) from Marinco if I have to.

Ken Y

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
They sell rebuild kits- come with new o-rings, screws, fan blades (2) and a new bug screen. Fans may not have changed sizes so maybe if they do t offer the one for your model anymore a newer one would work?

Jun 16, 2020
Hinckley Sou’wester 30 Falmouth ME
I am having a related, but different problem with my solar vents, each time I come back to my boat there is freshwater on the deck below each of the vents. Not much, maybe a couple table spoons worth. My brand new 4-in Marinco claimed you could seal by pushing up the sleeve that surrounds the fan. The second, older vent (I believe it is a Nicro) that came with the boat seems to have just started leaking. I have a cover that seems to fit that vent, but then it wouldn’t be venting very well if I put it on. Am I missing something?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
. I have a cover that seems to fit that vent, but then it wouldn’t be venting very well if I put it on. Am I missing something?
Are you referring to the chrome "bowl" with the 4-inch hole?