Any clever ideas on how to monitor the level in waste holding tank?

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
Yellow wire goes to negative side of external LED,

positive side of LED goes to power source,

brown wire goes to power source,

black and blue wires go to negative ground.
fiddled with it some more but still not working???

Attachments

Aug 7, 2023
Yellow wire goes to negative side of external LED, positive side of LED goes to power source, brown wire goes to power source, black and blue wires go to negative ground.
Yellow wire goes to negative side of external LED, positive side of LED goes to power source, brown wire goes to power source, black and blue wires go to negative ground.
thanks for the effort pal. If you're interested great if not of course I would understand. Thanks again!

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
It's always in the back of my mind; I'd be more comfortable knowing.
Intuition has worked pretty well for me over the years. Our 1991 26 gallon original SS tank has held up nicely with some minor repairs. Depending upon the crew size and the number of days out and underway, I have a pretty good sense of the tank level. No need for any mechanical device to tell me when it's time. Same goes with our other tanks; fuel, water, etc. Fuel tank has a mechanical gauge that sort of works, but is suitable.

One time during a long cruise it had been awhile since we last purchased fuel. Checked the gauge and it a read empty. Still had quite a ways to go before the next fuel stop. Pulled the gauge, inserted my trusty long wooden dowel and it told me I had a half a tank left of fuel. Whew! The gauge has worked pretty well ever since, for some odd reason.

4arch

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Baltimore
Your LED may need a resistor wired into the circuit. That's getting a little above my pay grade but several online tutorials show something like a 200 ohm resistor.

Aug 7, 2023
Your LED may need a resistor wired into the circuit. That's getting a little above my pay grade but several online tutorials show something like a 200 ohm resistor.
interesting. Did you see the diagram that I sent which shows the way they recommend wiring the sensor?

apparently it comes from the bowels of China. I've been in touch with the manufacture but they don't speak a lick of English it seems so communication is impossible.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
First off, always listen to Peggy Hall. But another solid alternative is Gobius sensors. They make two different types of bluetooth connected sensors:

- Gobius Pro: Ultrasound, mounts on vertical tank sides and signals whether tank is filled to the level of the sensor. You need multiple sensors to judge varying levels, though I've previously just mounted one on a black tank at 3/4 to signal it's time to pump out. (~$199)
- Gobius C: Radar, mounted on top of tank and provides the actual level of contents in the tank. Configurable with variable geometry tanks. (~$350)

I have used the Gobius Pro and found it low power, very reliable, and easy to install (just clip the power wires to your existing tank sensor and connect to the Gobius sensor). I'll be mounting the Gobius C this winter on my current boat on my fuel tank. You can always view the sensor on an app on your phone (or tablet, etc.). There may also be a way to hook the Gobius C into your tank gauge, but I have yet to dig into that so don't take that as gospel.