Any California trailer ables out there ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Glenn - Thanks for the info on Ventura and the facilities there.

My Mac 26D is not sunkable, should not turtle if the ballast is full and is a very safe boat. I have radio and a cell phone on me so what's the big deal?
OK, so maybe the word is "chicken". The ocean is BIG, Deep, Cold and full of "Sea Monsters"! LOL!!

I sailed out of Ventura about 1969 in a 21' IronCraft but never went to far from the harbor.
Thanks for invite to out with you after the Holidays. That would be great.

Bob

sloopy

Nov 22, 2008
Cape Dory 25 25 San Diego
Various

Hi,
I have a Cape Dory 25' on a trailer. It's not really a trailerable sailboat as it generally takes several hours to get her all rigged out. Not worth it for a day sail or weekender; too much work.
I was a member of the Venture Club in Mission Bay for a few years. They started, I believe, years ago with all Venture's (original Mac's?) but have since taken on all new members with anything that floats. Great club, great folks, very,very active club. Probably the most active in San Diego area, for sure. I used to go their monthly meetings when my boat was in her slip in So. Bay. Believe they are the most active in the local racing scene, also. Lots of fun!!! They have raft ups, pot lucks, several cruises all over the place (Catalina, Lake Meade, etc)
Sloopy

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
R. Oril, Sloopy and others :)

I havent sailed to the islands yet and I too usually will sail off shore only a mile or two.

I carry my cell phone and my Garmin hand held gps. I want to buy a good hand held marine radio some day, may be there will be and after Christmas sale some place and I will buy one.

What lake do you plan on sailing at ?

Lakes too have their Sea Monster .............:eek:

Sloopy,

Thanks for the info on San Diego. sounds like a pretty good club with lots to do.

Did anyone get out and sail over the 4 day weekend ?

Glenn
ps.
I charged my boat battery ! :clap:

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
You're much better off getting the handheld VHF ASAP. If you run into trouble a cell phone isn't going to be as useful. The problems with relying on a cell phone on a boat have to do with the fact that:

1) most cell phones aren't water resistant or waterproof, most handheld VHFs are; and if you get into trouble on a boat, it often involves you getting wet when you shouldn't be... and that means the cell phone might be dead before you can get a call out.

2) cell phones are point-to-point devices, and the only one that hears your cell phone call is the person you called. VHF radios are broadcast devices, and chances are very good that your distress call will be heard by many people, some of whom may be even closer to you than the USCG, and can help you before you drown or die.

3) It is hard to locate a cell phone, since the cell towers only give a rough location. A VHF can be pretty easily located via triangulation, which most USCG facilities can do. Also, a DSC equipped VHF that is connected to a GPS will give your exact Lat/Lon if you use the DSC distress feature. A DSC radio is pretty much idiot-proof too... lift the cover, hit the big red button. :)

4) Even if the cell phone survives long enough to make the call, there's no guarantee that you'll have cell phone service available when you need it. VHFs are not dependent on an external network to function.

Just some food for thought. BTW, a hand-held VHF can often be heard up to 25-30 miles away... even if you can't hear them... they can often hear you. A full-size 25 W VHF with a masthead mounted antenna often has even greater reach.
R. Oril, Sloopy and others :)

I havent sailed to the islands yet and I too usually will sail off shore only a mile or two.

I carry my cell phone and my Garmin hand held gps. I want to buy a good hand held marine radio some day, may be there will be and after Christmas sale some place and I will buy one.

What lake do you plan on sailing at ?

Lakes too have their Sea Monster .............:eek:

Sloopy,

Thanks for the info on San Diego. sounds like a pretty good club with lots to do.

Did anyone get out and sail over the 4 day weekend ?

Glenn
ps.
I charged my boat battery ! :clap:

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I have a handheld and have found that the quality is not good. We usually get frustrated with the handheld and revert to our cell phones. I usually forget to charge the handheld. I also have a WM fixed mount that I am happy with. I understand the transmission range is limited with the handheld. With the fixed mounted VHS your antenna is on the top of the mast that increases range.

BTW got out Sunday. Light winds but good fishing. Got out just before the fog hit.

Frank

Mar 8, 2005
Okay,

I just ordered a hand held radio ( Standard Hx750S "floating VHF radio").

I did not want to have a "fixed" radio on the boat, it might get feet and disapear !

Duane, the pictures are great, looks like you had some wind.

I too have used my cell while sailing, seems to work ok but I havent been very far off shore either. at least I will have two sources of trying to communicate if needed.

Glenn

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
How is this for a tailer sailor?

Met this guy from Tahiti who had just gotten in for some repairs. I forgot the name of the boat but it is a 32' steel keel, made in England.
I understand that it took the truck and a motor home to pull it up the ramp. According to a spectator it nearly went over.
Frank

Attachments

Last edited:

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Anyone interested in sailing out of MDR Saturday? Weather looks better than Sunday.
Glenn, a fixed mount radio mounts to a bracket with 2 thumbscrews, easy to remove when leaving the boat, or get an older one that no one will want:D
Or mount it on an arm with a chartplotter. Tim

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Yep, have to rig an uphaul for the spinnaker pole Friday. SWMBO wants lobster.:troll:

Oct 22, 2008
The converse to this is that the handheld could fall overboard and disappear, which I've never seen happen to a fixed mount. :)
Okay,

I just ordered a hand held radio ( Standard Hx750S "floating VHF radio").

I did not want to have a "fixed" radio on the boat, it might get feet and disapear !

Duane, the pictures are great, looks like you had some wind.

I too have used my cell while sailing, seems to work ok but I havent been very far off shore either. at least I will have two sources of trying to communicate if needed.

Glenn

Mar 8, 2005
Timo42 and Sailingdog,

I was thinking of using a smal sail bag, like what is used for your lines in the cockpit area to hold my gps and radio.

I thought it was going to rain Saturday and Sunday ?

I would like to sail but I have too many things to do between now and the New Year.

Have fun out there.

Glenn

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
SAT
NW WIND 10 TO 15 KT...INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 KT WITH
FREQUENT GUSTS TO 30 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.COMBINED SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. SLIGHT
CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
That's the latest forecast, looks like fun to me :D
I want to try out my new jacket anyway. Tim

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Should make the lobster hooping interesting. Frank

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Should make the lobster hooping interesting. Frank

Oct 22, 2008
If you're talking about a mesh sheet bag, that would probably work quite well. :) However, a fixed mount that allows you to see the GPS would probably be a better idea, at least for the GPS. BTW, I keep my handheld in the port side sheet bag on a regular basis... :)
Timo42 and Sailingdog,

I was thinking of using a smal sail bag, like what is used for your lines in the cockpit area to hold my gps and radio.

I thought it was going to rain Saturday and Sunday ?

I would like to sail but I have too many things to do between now and the New Year.

Have fun out there.

Glenn

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I'm planning to go sailing out of Mission Bay, San Diego, 2/6-8. The plan is to anchor free in Mariner's Basin Friday & Saturday nights, and sail off of Pt. Loma Saturday & Sunday. Could be some good whale activity.

A good launch ramp to use is the one next to Sea World, has finger docks. You can see it on the map just south of Fiesta Island. Mariners Basin is right next to the channel.

- 72 hour free parking
- 72 hour free anchoring

You don't even have to call ahead of time. Just anchor and the SD Lifeguard Patrol cruises by and takes note of your registration numbers.

San Diego Life Guard, 619-221-8800

Anyone care to join in?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&g...249,-117.226567&spn=0.02948,0.063214&t=h&z=15

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.