Any California trailer ables out there ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Seems like most the post are from the East cost, I was wondering if any one was here on the West cost besides me !

I sail a Com Pac Eclipse 21 most the time out of Ventura Marina.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 22 Marina Del Rey, CA CA
Glenn,
I have a 1971 Venture 22" in mast-up storage at Marina del Rey and two sailing buddies also have their MacGregor 25' at the same location. We have all trailered up to Ventura this year and sailed to Anacap as well as Santa Cruz Island. Next summer we are planning on 3 or 4 sailboats launching at Ventura and taking 4 to 5 days to sail around Santa Cruz Island. Wou are welcome to tag along, either with your boat or as crew on one of our boats. We also plan on sailing out of MDR to Santa Barbara Island and another trip to the Isthmus at Catalina. Give me a call at 661 270 0332 if you are interested.
Duane "novelman"

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Hey Glenn....I just purchased a 1988 Mac 26D and will be sailing the local lakes. We are located in Holiday Valley just west of Lancaster on Ave D (138) cross 255th street west.

Novelman....I think we are over the hill neighbors..Don't plan to put my boat in the salt water but I could crew on one of the trips.

Jan 22, 2008
I would be happy to take you out or invite you along with your boat. Call me at 661 270 0332 or cell 661 965 0394. I sail year-around all along the coast and out to the offshore islands.
Duane "novelman"

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
There should be some great sailing this weekend. Timo42 and I are planning on lobster hooping Friday night. I wll probably take a guest slip for the weekend. I have a Mac 25 and am also at MDR mastup storage. Can't beat 80 degree temperatures and 10-15 mph winds.
Frank

Apr 30, 2008
Catalina 27 (Standard Rig; O/B; Dinette Int.) Santa Barbara Harbor
Not trailering, but...

...my Catalina 27 is pretty near you! As caguy says, it looks to be a nice weekend if the Santa Ana's don't get too outta hand for us in Ventura County. I'm planning on taking my brother and father over to Santa Cruz this weekend; we'll also be hooping for lobster over there. Should be fun!

Welcome to the virtual neighborhood!

Sep 26, 2008
Macgregor 26D Mountain Ranch, CA
Glenn, Now that gas is cheap(er), come on up to Northern Cal. Sailing the high country of the Sierra Nevada is great fun, then you can do the SF Bay the next day!

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Lake Tahoe was the best trip ever. Droping anchor in Emerald Bay can't be beat. You will want to spend a week there.
Frank

Mtwo

Aug 2, 2007
Hunter 25.5 Stockton, CA
I am planning a trip to Southern California next year to cruise out to Catalina, where is the best place to leave from. I have a Hunter 25.5 and I am putting it on a trailer for the first time to get some maintenance completed during the winter months. I normally sail the California Delta and SF Bay.

Jan 22, 2008
Put your boat in at Marina del Rey and SAIL directly to the Isthmus to tie up. If you put in at any other location you will power sail or power to Catalina. The next day you can sail to Avalon (try early week/mid week) if you want a tie-up in the summer. Sail aound the east end to Cat Harbor. It's a great several days of sailing. E- mail me at novelman@roadrunner.com for more info and my phone number.
Duane "novelman"

Mar 8, 2005
Well,

There are west cost sailors out here with me.

Thanks for the inventations.

It would be great if we could all meet some place and have a get together sail.

I've only been sailing for about 5 years and last year I moved up to my Com Pac Eclipse 21. still trying to figure out how she handles, not like my little 17 hunter.

I actually live in Castaic and trailer my boat to Ventura. I have thought about sailing Tahoe, and the Serias too.

I have not sailied at Castaic do to crowds and cost.

I lack the confidence to sail to the islands or any over night trips but would like to try some time with experinced sailors.

Glenn

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
There is a certain comfort in going over with other boats, knowing that if you get into trouble there will be someone there to help bail you out (I carry a collapsible bucket I can toss you ;)). Keep in touch so we can caravan over. I you want to come down this weekend we can always do a day sail to Redondo, PV of Malibu. Weather is suppose to be 80* and winds 10-15. Swell less than 2'.
Frank
818 720-2355

Facilities at MDR can't be beat. Plenty of finger docks, wash stations and parking is $5/24 hrs. Guest slips for .50/ft.

Attachments

Mar 8, 2005
Frank,

This week end my wife wants to spend a day at Ventura .....no sailing :-(

I will give you a call so we can plan on getting together, anyone eles who who like to get together chime in here.

This could work out to be something we can do as a group who love sailing, like sailing with others. May be we could plan different sailing events through out the state at different times of the year !

I had been looking for some time to join a "trailer sailor club" here in California but havent found any, may be we could sart something very informal ourselevs ?

Glenn

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
California Trailerables

I'm interested too in getting together with a group. I got my Mac 26S in 05', but still have somewhat limited experience. I haven't gone to Catalina yet, but really want to, and would feel more comfortable going with a group, especially with others who have done it before.

I like the idea of going to different destinations, after all isn't that why we have trailerables.

I wouldn't mind learning how to lobster hoop!

I'm located in Oceanside.

Doug

Mar 8, 2005
Re: California Trailerables

Hello Doug,

I was in San Diego about 4 to 6 weeks ago looking for a place to retire to. I sailed at Mission Bay a few times over the past 5 or 6 years and had never seen the San Diego Harbor before until my recent trip there 4 or 6 weeks ago, really nice harbor and sail boats of all sizes.

This last week end my wife and I went to Ventura (to walk around ) and it was 85 degrees, sailing looked great for the ones who were sailing and not walking around like me :-(

It would be fun if we could all get together some place in the future for a sail.

What is Lobster hoping any way ?

Glenn

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Hi Glenn,

Sailing San Diego waters is fun. San diego Bay (The Big Bay, as they call it) has a lot of interesting things to see and do. You can anchor free for up to 72 hrs at Glorieta Bay right next to Hotel Del Coronado, or at La Playa next to Pt. Loma. Oceanside Harbor, Dana Point, etc.

There is a club, Venture Yacht Club of San Diego, based out of Mission Bay. Most members have Macgregors, but I understand all are welcome. I've been considering joining them for some time now, but haven't taken the step yet. they go to Catalina a couple times each year, and also go between San Diego Bay and Oceanside Harbor.

I read the posts of So-Cal Potters http://www.howies.net/socalpotter/, looks like a great club. Seems like a fun group and they go on a lot of intereseting trips, they look very active. Once I asked if I could go along with a Macgregor, the response was that everyone is welcome. I may check them out too.

But it wouldn't hurt to get an informal group together!

With regard to lobster hooping. Just the other day a friend suggested doing it. I've never even seen it done yet, but sounds interesting. I guess you drop a lobster hoop, a trap during the night, next day pull it up and hopefully you get lobster!

Mar 8, 2005
Doug,

Sounds nice.

I'm aware of the Potter group of sailors and even met a group at Los Alimitos bay, Long Beach, they were sailing to Catilina for the weekend.

Jan 22, 2008
Glen,
Contact me via e-mail or phone 661 270 0332 about sailing next weekend.
Duane "novelman"

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Lobster hooping, you go out at night, with a pile of hoopnets tied to the foredeck, a couple of miles offshore, cut up baitfish and bait the nets throw them overboard with lighted floats, float around for a couple of hours B/Sing and drinking beer watching the voltmeter drop because the new battery wasn't fully charged :doh:
Motor around looking for the floats, pull up the nets:troll: and see what's there. Could be almost anything, octopus, eel, starfish, crabs, and even lobster. Friday night Frank, my wife, and I caught 3 lobsters and a bunch of rock crabs:D Thanks Frank. We will be sailing this weekend somewhere:confused: probably out of MDR, but open to suggestion. Tim

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Here's another "trailer-sailor" here in San Diego. I've joined in a couple of the weekend outtings with the SoCal Potter group. Fun bunch, no rules, (except to have fun), no dues, no officers.....

Don, Capri-18
"Quality Time II"

Status
Not open for further replies.