Any alternative to Rig-Rite for Amiot replacement hardware?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 440 Clayton, NY (1000 Islands) NY
Nothing but crickets from Rig-Rite. I've been trying to find out if my traveler car can be repaired and if not, what the recommended replacement would be. I've tried email, fax and phone. I did get a person on the phone that instructed me to email pictures. Never heard back. Now all I get is automated voicemail. I've got a Beneteau 440 with Amiot 8 wheel traveler with 4:1 purchase. The toggle is missing. End boom MWL at 50 kts is estimated to be 4293 lbs. My track is the 32mm I-Beam, so I'm thinking Harken's 32 mm high load car would work fine as a replacement. Harken's rating is 4500 lbs with a 9000 lbs breaking load. Can anyone concur that my logic is not flawed? Thanks - John.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Why not contact Garhauer and see if they can custom fabricate something for you? I had them custom fabricate a part for a fraction of the cost that Rig Rite would have charged.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Check with Harken. When I had to rebuild my traveler on my 310, they told me that their stuff would not work on the Amiot system. Maybe I got bad info but that's what they told me. Replace the whole thing or nothing. I ended up making repairs by fabricating parts and locating suitable substitute parts to replace the worn out stuff - fairleads, sheaves, cleats, etc. I've never had good experiences with Rig-Rite.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
AFAIK... Harken stuff is proprietary.... cars are exclusive to Harken track. I second the call to Garhauer Marine.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
John, I had Garhauer manufacture a replacement Amiot I beam style aluminum traveler for my Bene 35s5. It was drop in perfect. They will tell you how to measure and will recreate a modern solution that fits and works. I can't say enough good things about them. Glad your already sold on the idea.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
I have purchased several items from Garhauer. A few years ago I wanted a boom car that was an improvement from the one rig rite sold for our '90 h30. Talked to Garhauer about fabing one (simple SS plate with pressed fit axels) and they said they were not interested. They didn't say why.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I second the call to Garhauer. Great product with excellent customer service and great pricing. For my last boat I upgraded all stanchions and blocks with their products and when upgrading on my new boat will do the same. Rig Rite has not so friendly customer service.... when I called them last it seemed like I was bothering them.... sort of like a take it or leave it attitude. So I will leave it and send my $$ somewhere else.

Good Luck!.

Jun 5, 2018
Beneteau 35S5 Buffalo, NY
John, I had Garhauer manufacture a replacement Amiot I beam style aluminum traveler for my Bene 35s5. It was drop in perfect. They will tell you how to measure and will recreate a modern solution that fits and works. I can't say enough good things about them. Glad your already sold on the idea.
I have a Bene 35s5 with the Amiot traveler problem. I was wondering if your replacement is still working and if Garhauer gave you a replacement part #?
Thanks,
Kevin

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Kevin:

On my First 310, I rebuilt my Amiot Traveller using off the shelf parts. If you are interested, I can send you information on that. It was a bit of work but far less costly that wholesale replacement of the whole system. Just PM me if you need.