Antifouling Paint Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2009
HUNTER 340 Raritan Yacht Club
Hi all you Morganites,

I have a 1969 Morgan 30 and I am planning to strip my hull of antifouling bottom paint right down to the fiberglass.

Probably 10 coats piled up.

SANDING is absolutely no option.

Below are some ideas I have considered.

1 Boat Brite Soy Striper

2 Franmar's SOY•Strip

3 Soda Blasting

All three are on You Tube videos and show a fairly easy way of doing this.

What have been your experience and recommendations for this project?

TIA

Regards

Bill

Jul 16, 2011
Morgan 21 Guntersville
Hello
I have a Morgan 22 with four layers of bottom paint. I have sanding it off ! It takes about 1 hour to sand an area 8inches by eight inches. After that my arms are weak as noodles. The paint must be toxic because some times my face and arms burn from the powder. I wear a good filter respirator mask. If you find a better way let me know , but alas I am just about finished. I imagine a 30 footer with 10 layers is going to be tough no matter what.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Hi guys,
I have a 1967 24' Morgan. I did not strip my hull but will the next time out. I've heard "peel away" is a good way to go.
My last boat was a GS 41 and me and a laborer stripped it with Dads stripper and sanding and I'll never do that again.
There is a member here that is a chemist named Ross on the seafarers forum that has made up a recipe for this.

timkb

Sep 12, 2009
Pearson 30 Hull #606 Lanoka Harbor, NJ
bottom strip

I did a bottom job on my Pearson 30 with a 5 foot fin keel about 2 years ago. I tried a variety of mechanical means to remove the old paint. Best tool was a sharp bladed scraper. I did sand some small areas using a vacuum attached to the orbital sander. Took a lot of time and energy. Did save about $1000 bucks, was a better job than what the yard does with sanding.

My marina mates felt sorry for me. The bottom ended up getting compliments from guys that know what it should look like.

BTW, I see your in Raritan bay, I'm located near Forked River.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.