Anti Seize

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
What's the recommended anti seize for use on stainless fasteners threaded into aluminum?

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
Tef Gel is the one I've been using, based on the recommendation of others.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Tef Gel. It can be purchased in small tubes at a very high unit price or in a small tub for a much lower unit price.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There are many types of commercial anti-seize products out there. The typical grey one is not for use on SS and aluminum but the copper colored and copper based anti-seize product, made by many companies, works for years and is rather inexpensive. The can we use, below, and we have dozens of S/S machine screws that we must remove and replace for maintenance of our IMRF system.
anti seize.JPG

Nov 24, 2014
Catalina 310 Staten Island
What's the recommended anti seize for use on stainless fasteners threaded into aluminum?
I have had good luck with a product from Park Tools called anti seize compound. It is sold in bicycle shops. Bicycle frames and components are made of various aluminum, steel. And titanium alloys which are threaded into each other

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Tefgel is very good. But just so this isn't a Tefgel love-fest, I did some side-by-side testing (bolts in a mast section hung under a dock so that it cycled wet and dry) and Locktite LB 8023 was a little better.

Do not use anti-seize products with copper--they can make it worse if salt is present (OK on engine, just not SS vs. aluminum). The manufacturers make marine versions without copper because they have learned this!!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Greg,
Thanks for posting the Practical Sailor comparison of tef gel vs lanocote.
Very good article.
I have a big jar of Lanocote, and a small dried-up syringe of Tef Gel....guess which one gets used?

Greg

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Many spar builders coat the back of SS plates (such as pole rings) with varnish to prevent galvanic corrosion.