Anti Corrosion Tape

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Does anyone have a recommendation for the anti-corrosion tape that you would put between stainless steel fittings and aluminum mast? I will also be using Tef-gel since I've had great success with it.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Tef gel works. You could get a thin piece of HMWPE and cut to fit to form a gasket, however the the threads on SS screws will still be in contact with the aluminum.

Thin roll up cutting boards are HMWPE and are pretty cheap.

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
this was recommended on another msg board (or this one can't recall). i'm doing a full mast refit and am using it to backstop all the fittings. though this is my first time using it, so i have no first hand experience. my hope is that the tape will help slow down the eventual paint bubbles that form around the stainless plates and what not. i just repainted the whole thing and i'd rather not do it again for awhile.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The corrosion rate on the mis-matched metals on your Anodized Aluminum mast and Stainless Steel is very very small.
Tef-Gel would do fine.
Jim...

PS: Any gasket will be cut as the screw turns, but if you feel better about that, do both.:biggrin:
PSS: I inspected some done by a new Deck Light mounting and old radar bracket. No corrosion seen. No Tef-Gel used.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
this was recommended on another msg board (or this one can't recall). i'm doing a full mast refit and am using it to backstop all the fittings. though this is my first time using it, so i have no first hand experience. my hope is that the tape will help slow down the eventual paint bubbles that form around the stainless plates and what not. i just repainted the whole thing and i'd rather not do it again for awhile.

For some items you might be better off using nylon or HMWPE washers instead of tape for items that are low stress, like antenna mounts, lazy jack blocks etc. This will allow some air flow under the fitting. High stress fittings, like cleats and winches are probably better off being tight to the mast surface. Cutting off air flow on painted spars will induce paint bubbling.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
You could try non metallic washers around the screws. This should provide a small gap between the mast and fittings. Put one beneath the screw head as well to isolate it from the part that's being mounted

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have been experimenting with gaskets made from sheet silicone which I purchased on Amazon. I would not recommend for highly stressed fittings such as cleats, but good for separating dissimilar materials and for sealing. This material is 1/16" thick, soft (A65), and can be cut with a scissors. Fastener holes can be made with a paper punch.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Thanks for everyone's help, giving me multiple ideas to use. Tef-gel will be used on everything, with non-metallic washers for areas like bolt holes.