Antenna Wire

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I was running down a 110 VAC electrical issue when I found this wire labeled: "ANT REM MAX 0.1A". It isn't connected to anything. I also note the green wire (a ground?) not connected to anything labeled "ATT". They are behind the power panel in the wire bundle to the stern o the compartment

Anyone know what these wires do and where they might be connected?

The 110 VAC issue: I had no power to the GFI receptacle (the only one in the boat) in the cabinet above the stove or in any other receptacle further forward. No power to the Air Conditioner / Heater. No power was getting from the "outlets" breaker to the GFI receptacle. I was getting power to the outlet to the stern/above the Nav Table. I tried a new GFI receptacle - didn't correct the problem. I note here it would have been nice if Catalina had put in a couple of inches of slack in these wired. It was a RPITA to get them disconnected and connected again (I did take the time to label LOAD and LINE). I then just disconnected the wires at the OUTLETS breaker and then put them right back. Presto - everything worked just fine. One presumes some corrosion built up over the last 15 years. Don't know why the outlet to the stern/above the Nav Table worked throughout.

Antenna Rem Max 0.1A.jpg

KZW

May 17, 2014
Well yes, there is. It is about 6 inches away. What is the wire for?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Looks like it was part of an auto antenna switch. Limiting to 100mA would mean it probably wasn't an active antenna. I will guess that the REM stood for 'remote'. Now, how was it used is another mystery.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Remember years ago many cars had power antennas. That wires is the trigger to raise and lower the antenna. I'm just guessing.

I have no idea what the other wire is used for.

Sovt

Jul 2, 2014
Fuji 36 New Baltimore NY
A blue wire on a auto radio is usually used to power an antenna amplifier. The gray wire is for providing enough current to keep the memory alive.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Have you looked at the plug behind the nav station, on ours its a GFI and is wired to the one in the cupboard. I replace both this year and each is wired to the 110 bus and not to each other.

KZW

May 17, 2014
The plug above the stove in the cupboard is a GFI. It is the only one in the boat. The plug above and and to the stern of the nav station is not a GFI. I don't know where its wires go. However, this was the only working 110VAC outlet in the boat when the others had no power - and there was no power to air conditioner. I disconnected the wires at the outlet circuit break and reconnected and now everything works. I assume I knocked off some corrosion in the process.