Another what is this boat?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
This boat is at mooring field near me and I think the owner is going to put it up for sail but I can't get in touch with him.

Does anybody know what kind of boat this may be and time frame of manufacture. I'm guessing late 80 maybe? Looks to be in good shape (but not Bristol of course). I think one of my boating buddies said it might be a "Contessa" but can't find a picture of one on Yachtworld or a "comparative price." Any ideas?
1101201519b.jpg

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Pearson Countess 44. It is older than it looks. probably mid 60s. There is one for sale right up the lake from me.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The boat is too small to be a Pearson Contess 44. See the drawings here:

Since the boat is on a mooring, sneak up to it and look for the HIN on the upper starboard corner of the transom. The will give you the builders name and when it was built.

There are no state registration numbers visible on the hull. It may be USCG documented, in which case you can look up the documentation information which may be helpful.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I thought it was smaller than 44 ft at first as well but after comparing to the sailboatdata line drawings I'd say @SailingLoto nailed it. The only thing missing it the fixed portlights in the hull but those could have been glassed over.

Jan 11, 2014
I thought it was smaller than 44 ft at first as well but after comparing to the sailboatdata line drawings I'd say @SailingLoto nailed it. The only thing missing it the fixed portlights in the hull but those could have been glassed over.
The proportions are all wrong for a 44' boat. Looks more like a 30' boat.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There are no clear points of references in that picture to determine the size of that boat. Hey, "Smokey 73" give us your impression about the size of the boat.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
There are no clear points of references in that picture to determine the size of that boat. Hey, "Smokey 73" give us your impression about the size of the boat.
The only point of reference is the skiff I'm in to take the picture and that perspective is deceptive. It is every bit as long as my 40ft Hunter so the Countess sounds right. As I said I thought by buddy said Contessa but I probably misheard. Countess it is. I'm not interested in buying but just found it an interesting looking boat.

Jan 11, 2014
There are several clear reference points. First look at the lifeline stanchions, at most they are 30" high. Next look at the wheel, somewhere between 30" and 40". Then there is the mooring ball, probably about 18-24". The photo is taken from a dinghy that is relatively close to the boat in question. The radar is 24" in diameter. The size of the blocks for the running rigging, especially the mizzen sheet, are maybe 6 inches, which makes the mizzen boom less than 6". The booms on a 44 foot boat would need to be larger since they are made of wood.

The boat is a lot closer to 30 feet than 44 feet.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
It is definately closer to 40 feet than 30 feet. I've seen it tied up at the T-head pier and it takes up at least as much room on the pier as my 40 foot boat. I've never been rafted up to it but I'm confident its closer to 40 or maybe even a little more rather than 30 foot.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... sneak up to it and look for the HIN on the upper starboard corner of the transom.
Yeah, if you get caught in the process, tell them Phil sent you, along with thousand of other sailors.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The boat is a lot closer to 30 feet than 44 feet.
The photo is taken from behind and we're looking at the boat in perspective view, so references will need to be greatly diminished the further away from the camera lens. Look at how far forward mast is from the pilot house and there is a lot of deck stretching out in front of the mast. The mizzen boom looks like it could be 10' and the main boom at least 15' or more, with at least 2' or 3' space between the boom & mizzen mast. It's a ketch and any ketch made to 30' would look like a toy. That boat is easily 40' or more. The perspective view is deceiving the length.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
it doesn't have the big heavy duty looking rub rails but it has the three cabin-front "windows" which you can see through the side glass.. The big "chicken cage" just aft of the mast and the dorades and vents all look like the Countess..
The HIN is probably non existent because it is too early a year model.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I can agree with the possibility of it being a Pearson 44. The lengths of the booms and a measuring of the mid ship gate then placing the distance on the image and moving it towards the stern and bow gives a rough estimate of 35 plus...

The cabin ports and the spacious cockpit are very distinctive. I found them on a 1966 Pearson 44 Sloop. This boat is for sale. Asking $39,900 located in Eldon MO.
1604423078567.png