Another Trip Around the Sun

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
We woke up to something new in the air. These delightful weeks of lazy mornings and minimal commitments are over. The time for making lists and bustling around with the excitement of upcoming adventure is at hand.

History repeats. A year and four days ago I wrote, “Cruising Posts to Resume”. A year ago yesterday, I was headed down the Potomac River to resume the cruising life that brought me here. Today, I write again that cruising posts will resume.

I fly to Newport News on Friday and will spend the weekend getting Strider ready for launch on Monday. I will move back aboard then and she will sit to settle for a day before York River Yacht Haven’s mechanic and I realign the engine on Wednesday. Dreameagle will join me then or a few days later depending on a professional commitment she is awaiting word on.

The plan then is to head south as quickly as weather permits. We hope to get as far as Charleston to visit some of Dreameagle’s family. However, we are going to avoid any commitments or schedule. Hanging around in the cabin is a lot pleasanter than it used to be so we aren’t going to drive ourselves through any unpleasant conditions.

We leave with the tax man on our heels. I got a letter from the Commissioner of Revenue asking that I submit a personal property tax return since I had a boat in the state on the first of the year. I sent an email explaining the circumstances and was told they would take me off the tax rolls as long as I was not in the state for more than four months. Too bad for the yard. We were giving some thought to waiting another month and having the yard do some additional work but the tax man is chasing their customer and work away.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Taxed Enough Already ... Roger, you're sounding downright TEA partyish! Good luck with the trip south! Last year, we documented that you were the 1st snowbird to travel north. It's sounding like you could be the 1st to travel south this year with a southbound migration in March. Nobody is going to accuse you of being conventional!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Wonderful to have you back.

Taxes are non-partisan, let's keep it that way. :)

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Roger - See you on the water ... I begin heading north from Key West later this week. Plan to stop in Savannah for a week for bottom paint.

Mar 4, 2010
Endeavour 32 ft. sloop Oriental N.C.
Great News

Good fortune to you both. Keep the articles coming,they are very entertaining and informative. Thanks.This is my boat. Look familiar?

Attachments