Another Swim Ladder Question

Aug 6, 2020
O'Day 192 Lake Sunapee
I just bought an '87 192 that has a broken boarding/swim ladder. The frame is there but the telescoping steps are broken off. This may be wild optimism but I would like to find an identical ladder (new or used) and just replace the broken parts. My aim is to not drill any more holes in the transom. A picture of the ladder is attached. Does anyone recognize this?

Boarding Ladder.jpg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Check with D&R Marine who sells O'Day sailboat replacement parts like the ladder below at: Virtual Silver

1600088063574.png

Aug 6, 2020
O'Day 192 Lake Sunapee
Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been planning this for years. Now that I am approaching retirement from the military I have a little more leisure time to pursue sailing. The 192 has been on my short list for a long time and when a nice example came available locally I could not pass it up.
Yikes, though. At $440 I might be compelled to find a less-expensive one and get out the drill. Could the ladder I have be OEM? Was a boarding ladder standard equipment? There is a 4" inspection port directly below the tiller (installed by the PO for access to the drainage tube) but I'm not sure how useful that would be for getting at the backing for this ladder.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
To get to where the ladder is mounted, you can crawl into the port storage locker. It’s a tight spot so I’d recommend having someone there who can pull you (or a small person) out. Another way to get into there is to remove the port bulkhead in the cabin and crawl in through that way instead of dropping in from the hatch.

I don’t think that ladder was the original from O’Day but it’s not an uncommon design. I don’t know where mine came from but it looks close in design at least (but much different mounting brackets).

That inspection port you mention is not from the factory but is nice to have. When I replaced my cockpit drain, I went in the same way I described above to get to it. Crawled through the port locker.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
If you do not want to drill new holes and you ant to spend a lot less (< $200) you could install a folding transom ladder with a single attachment at the lower holes like the one below. Suggest checking with West Marine at Boat Ladders | West Marine
1600091641429.png