Another solution to hard to unfurl sail on Selden furling mast

Nov 14, 2005
Hunter Hunter 38 Ventura Harbor, CA
Hello all,
A new-to-me Hunter 38's mainsail was difficult to unfurl and furl. My after-purchase rigger found the cause of the problem.
There is a spindle at the top of the mast that is riveted to the top end of the foil. The spindle connects to the masthead and contains bearings that assist in foil rotation. On my Hunter the rivets were broken which allowed the spindle to separate in half. (Too much halyard tension? Too tight of an adjustment at the bottom of the foil? Screw holding cover in place at the bottom of the foil not seated allowing bottom adjustment to tighten?)
When unfurling, the foil pulled against the mast slot binding up the sail. I noticed the difficulty during the trial but wrote it off to being unfamiliar with the furling system.
I had a rigging inspection. Paid money for it. It passed with only a few minor concerns. No mention of the broken spindle. So no way to demand repairs by the seller during the purchase process. The mast had to be unstepped to replace the spindle.
When I spoke with the inspection rigger, he did not say he went up the mast, only that the sail pulled out ok. The broker wasn't there for the survey. Should the inspector have gone up the mast? Should the broker have told me the inspection doesn't include going up the mast?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Surveyors generally don’t go up a mast which is why it’s good business to have a rigging inspection done in addition to a survey. In your case, you did nothing wrong except hiring a bad rigger to do an incompetent inspection. To state the obvious, half the rigging hardware is “up there” which he didn’t inspect.

Riggers have E & O insurance. I would pursue recourse with his underwriter.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2005
Hunter Hunter 38 Ventura Harbor, CA
A follow-up: After fixing the problems with the furler as well as other "missed" problems (worn places where stays crossed, oversized endless furling line causing winch halves at mast to wear off gripping areas) on my own dime; after much email back and forth with the rigging company, sending before and after pictures, countering "explanations" of their expertise vs my ignorance, I receive a check for 3/4 of my cost. No note, no explanation, no fault expressed. No refund of my $200 rigging survey charge. But good enough. Everyone says "that's boating" as an explanation, but no it's not; that's not doing the job they were paid for.
I won't name names, but if you're have a rigging survey in the Long Beach CA area, I'd be there to watch.