Another one bites the dust...

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
That the deal. The lifting keel is really well designed, and allows 'trailerability' with the pointing ability of a 6 foot draft when down. Ping me anytime you'd like to know more. I know where a couple of the 25s are, but I've never sailed in your area. If you ever get to Minneapolis, come join us for a sail or a race. Here's two vids to give you a flavor in the mean time.

@Jackdaw tell us about that nifty speed and wind direction? overlay on the lower video...that is seriously cool. Is that a separate anamometer on the go pro? (Apologies for an apparent thread hijack)...

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@Ross S @Will Gilmore ,
Hey guys! I know I've been off the forum for a while; prepping for college and work has been a you know what ;) ! Anyway, I do plan to start the company off by manufacturing smaller vessels such as dinghies and pocket cruisers. The goal is to produce a nicely performing boat that is both comfortable, of utmost quality, and is very affordable. I want it that way because I know what its like to take a look at a beautiful, fast boat and then look at the price and go, "Yeah....one day..." but simultaneously realize that owning such a beautiful and reliable boat might never happen. I want people to be able to look at our boats a say, "Agh, yes, I want one so bad!" And then us look at them and say, "Yeah? Well, give us 10k and she's all yours!" (price depending on boat, of course)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Jackdaw tell us about that nifty speed and wind direction? overlay on the lower video...that is seriously cool. Is that a separate anamometer on the go pro? (Apologies for an apparent thread hijack)...
@Dan_Y ,
Its taken with a GoPro 5 black on a Horizon True self-leveling mount. The GP5 has built-in GPS that it uses to store location and speed as metadata in the mp4 files it creates. The overlays are not part of the actual video, they are added by the GoPro Quik desktop software. Once you get used to the workflow, creating videos like that take only a couple of minutes.

Nov 1, 2017
@Jackdaw ,
I'm not talking about something like Beneteaus or big fancy yachts, but kinda like Catalina, or Tartan, who really produced solid boats that are very popular because of their reputable capabilities and affordability.

Nov 8, 2010
@Jackdaw ,
I'm not talking about something like Beneteaus or big fancy yachts, but kinda like Catalina, or Tartan, who really produced solid boats that are very popular because of their reputable capabilities and affordability.
;^)

My point is that there is a inverse correlation between those two. Quality, in design, material, and construction cost money that decreases affordability. The more quality (utmost) you have, the more it has to cost. While some factors that you will not possess (like economies of scale) will help this a bit, the relationship is immutable.

Anyone that might lend you money to start will understand this. Tell them you want to do both and they will snicker.

Nov 1, 2017
@Jackdaw ,
But have you heard of the guy (forgot his name) who has some of the Herreshoff designs for some 20-24 foot sloops and is selling them for about 30K? Those are wood hulls, too! I strongly believe that a boat can be beautiful, reliable, and affordable all in one. Just gotta make the right friends and be different than everyone else. I don't plan to sell them for dirt cheap, just slightly cheaper than the competition. I'm also just now starting school for business, so I've got a ways to go before I even begin forging the company! It's a dream of mine, and yes, perhaps, one that might seem crazy. But I like that. I like being crazy, and doing what seems out of reach. Make no mistake, I am heeding your advice, and am re-evaluating exactly how I can find that balance. A boat that is flashy and expensive will sell, but not in numbers, and a boat that is affordable will sell in mass, but may not build the reputation/income I'm looking for. You seem to know a lot, sir; I respect you immensely for that. Perhaps you could share some more tips with me? I really want to learn more.

Nov 8, 2010
@Jackdaw ,
But have you heard of the guy (forgot his name) who has some of the Herreshoff designs for some 20-24 foot sloops and is selling them for about 30K? Those are wood hulls, too! I strongly believe that a boat can be beautiful, reliable, and affordable all in one. Just gotta make the right friends and be different than everyone else. I don't plan to sell them for dirt cheap, just slightly cheaper than the competition. I'm also just now starting school for business, so I've got a ways to go before I even begin forging the company! It's a dream of mine, and yes, perhaps, one that might seem crazy. But I like that. I like being crazy, and doing what seems out of reach. Make no mistake, I am heeding your advice, and am re-evaluating exactly how I can find that balance. A boat that is flashy and expensive will sell, but not in numbers, and a boat that is affordable will sell in mass, but may not build the reputation/income I'm looking for. You seem to know a lot, sir; I respect you immensely for that. Perhaps you could share some more tips with me? I really want to learn more.
No I have not heard that! But is it an on-going business? Often things like that lead to failure after they burn thru their start-up money and are still losing money.

I’m not a boat builder, just applying what I know about business. Here is a good place to start to learn more..

http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/business.html

Nov 8, 2010
@Dan_Y ,
Its taken with a GoPro 5 black on a Horizon True self-leveling mount. The GP5 has built-in GPS that it uses to store location and speed as metadata in the mp4 files it creates. The overlays are not part of the actual video, they are added by the GoPro Quik desktop software. Once you get used to the workflow, creating videos like that take only a couple of minutes.
One other way @Dan_Y , if you have ANY Garmin device that can interface to your computer (bike running, backpacking) you can record GPS data with that, then the Garmin SW will import GoPro video and use the GPS data from the attached device to do the same thing. More devices and steps, but it works.