Another Newbie Question

Oct 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Plymouth MA
What size jib is this? Raised for the first time since we acquired JULA. Only had 100% working jibs in the past. Sorry, can't figure out how to rotate it!
Thanks. Mike
IMG_2730.jpg

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I was going to guess 130....should be a nice sail at 130, depending on your local conditions.....

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
All these silly technically correct things that I hadn't learned yet make this forum indispensable. Nice links/diagrams. Thanks.

I always looked at the foot and guesstimated the fraction the clew went past the mast. I was guessing it is a 130% headsail because it roughly goes 30% past the mast.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
All these silly technically correct things that I hadn't learned yet make this forum indispensable. Nice links/diagrams. Thanks.

I always looked at the foot and guesstimated the fraction the clew went past the mast. I was guessing it is a 130% headsail because it roughly goes 30% past the mast.
Don't feel bad, I was making the exact same mistake until a couple days ago. Now of course I have to remeasure all of my headsails, and see what they really are. While my wife laughs at me.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The percentage used to describe a headsail's size is not the amount of overlap. It is a comparison of the sail's area to that of the fore triangle (forestay, mast and deck) The fore triangle is a right triangle... with the deck being 90 deg to the mast. A sail is NOT a right triangle.... so a "luff perpendicular", representing the height of a triangle must be used to calculate the area.

Rather than make a series of calculations... the rules of geometry can be employed to simply say that dividing the sail's LP by the boat's J will give a percentage of size. In other word's you are comparing the Height of the two triangles.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I think I can take a peek at the mast a little aft of the clear plastic window. It looks like a 150 Genoa to me.