Another dog question... getting a big dog aboard

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
It's getting close to the time to drop my H30 project boat in the water. I plan on spending weekends on it which means my dog, a 80lb Hovawart needs to go with me....no other option, plus we are buddies. The problem I dread is getting him aboard. He doesn't seem too fond of water anyway. I think if I tried to pick him up we both would end up in the water. He loves car rides and believe he would be fine once on the boat. Any tips or ideas?

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
It's getting close to the time to drop my H30 project boat in the water. I plan on spending weekends on it which means my dog, a 80lb Hovawart needs to go with me....no other option, plus we are buddies. The problem I dread is getting him aboard. He doesn't seem too fond of water anyway. I think if I tried to pick him up we both would end up in the water. He loves car rides and believe he would be fine once on the boat. Any tips or ideas?
An older gentleman on our dock has a lab and he built a very simple gangplank of sorts that then dog can walk from the finger pier right on to the boat's deck. He covered it with carpet remnants to make it "non-slip". I've also seen products you can purchase that are more or less the same thing.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2010
Beneteau 343 Ft Lauderdale
I got the Petstep Folding Pet Ramp on Amazon for my two 70 pound huskies. A little pricey ($136) but well worth it. It is heavy duty and works great for people too.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
what do people use getting in/out of dink or water? Our poor dog gets hung over the side by his lifejacket, dropped in to swim to shore. Getting him out of the water is another lifting affair from his lifejacket, while I stand on the ladder, lifting him aboard....not graceful, often cold in Lake Michigan...

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
:D:D:DYeah, we lifted our Wheaten terrier in and out the boat with her life vest for awhile, until one day she surprised us by jumping over the gunwale into the dingy; shortly after that with encouragement, she leapt aboard. I think she decided better to be the master of her own fate as opposed to being dangled over the brink - could be anthromorphising...

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
:D:D:DYeah, we lifted our Wheaten terrier in and out the boat with her life vest for awhile, until one day she surprised us by jumping over the gunwale into the dingy; shortly after that with encouragement, she leapt aboard. I think she decided better to be the master of her own fate as opposed to being dangled over the brink - could be anthromorphising...
Had a 95 # rott Shepard mix. Until his last years he jumped up, jumped down. Wouldn't take help. Wanted to go badly whether on or off he was game.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I had a beagle years ago. The first time he had his life jacket on he hid in the corner. Seriously. We would put it on to calm him down so I could trim his nails. Once he realized the life jacket meant we were going to the lake, he would go nuts with excitement. He wasn't a perfect dawg but he was a GREAT boat dawg.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Thanks all for the comments. I guess I'll try a ramp to get him aboard first. On my deck he won't get within 4 feet of my above ground pool. We'll see how the ramp works. He is highly spirited. I can see this event ruining my weekend :)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
We're taking our new dawg out this weekend. He won't go near the swimming pool while we're in it so we have our fingers crossed. Hang in there, Kito. I bet it'll work out fine for you.

Attachments

kito

Sep 13, 2012
We're taking our new dawg out this weekend. He won't go near the swimming pool while we're in it so we have our fingers crossed. Hang in there, Kito. I bet it'll work out fine for you.
Dang Kermit!. I thought I had the most spoiled dog in the world :thumbup: Good luck with your pooch this weekend.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
what i want to know is which is the lazy hound the one on the right or the one on the left:D

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I have a 65# lab/chow mix.... she believes the boats I own are hers.... she lets no one near them unless she wants them there... she is in and out of the boats on her own, but never goes anyplace, unless I am going too... she protects the boats, but doesn't care about our house.... on the 45ft Dufour, there is a swim ladder and swim platform, she uses that to get aboard when in the water or in the skiff... If I am on board she will not get in the water or out of the boat... but when I leave the boat, she has to go with me... she has to go everyplace I go, no matter what, she believes.... when we go places, I stick on her life jacket, and place my old police badge on it, and now she is a working dog and can go anyplace... I use to be a K-9 officer and she is trained like a police K-9 dog....

sincerely
Jess

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Most spoiled dogs in the world (former champions)

The Admiral had three rescued greyhounds when we got together. I had the furry chew toy for them to chase. We got them acclimatized to each other. And one day we left the bedroom door open and they made themselves at home.

This was in spite of the fact that they had their OWN PERSONAL couch.

Alas, none of them are with us anymore. And with all our travels, we just haven't replaced them. (The Admiral says "yet.")

Attachments

kito

Sep 13, 2012
Great pictures. My dog has run of the house too. Looks like they are posing for Playdog on the couch :)

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
some budget minded boaters have been known to make gang planks out of old ladders.
just put a board in the middle and secure it.

that paws aboard ladder looks really nice.

-does it float when the dog is on it? or you need the supports to keep it at the right angles?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
some budget minded boaters have been known to make gang planks out of old ladders.
just put a board in the middle and secure it.

that paws aboard ladder looks really nice.

-does it float when the dog is on it? or you need the supports to keep it at the right angles?
:D it sorta reminds me of a yellow escalator :D

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
So, Charlie is officially a good boat dawg. He went out twice this weekend. Today he showed us which boat is ours, ahem *his*, and jumped on and made quick work of the companionway steps. And I hope y'all will note that I *finally* got the American flag flying where God and Chapman intended it.

Attachments