Another discovery during winterization

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This is the screen from the filter assembly on the input side of the fresh water pump. It was disgusting! Not sure where this black crud comes from. It hosed out easy enough. I have a feeling that some things have never been checked on Bella before. Now it's on my list for regular inspection. One of my off season projects is to add a carbon filter after the pump.

20201016_141347_resized.jpg

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
My Beneteau has 5 tanks with inspection deck plates about 8" wide. That crud is in your tanks. I shop vac them every year, wipe them clean and use bleach but I still won't drink that water.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I agree. I need to make an access hole and clean it out. We use RO water we bring from home to drink. I installed a Shurflo strainer on the vent side to keep critters out.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I get a white pasta like slime in my screw in prefilter. Yes, the tank and yes, I also do not drink that water, Poland Springs only on board. Change filter one time a year in spring. Have a spare to screw in so I don't lose time scrubbing. By the way a toothbrush is perfect to get that screen really clean.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
unless I am on a trip, I try to only use 2 tanks and I only fill them half way. that way the water is turned over pretty often.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Sort of like anchors and winterized fuel tanks.... we all have different techniques that work for us. with my water tanks I fill them and use water like a drunken sailor (ummm). I clean at the end of the season and mid season and knock on wood water has always been fine.

make sure you leave a nice strong solution (as per Peggie) in the hoses...... those things get nasty too.

greg