Another dipsh@# trying to read a dipstick…

mforum

Feb 19, 2022
Catalina 27 Port Gardner
I decided to change the transmission fluid in the Hurth transmission of an Universal M18 on a Catalina 27 since I have about 200 hours on the engine since acquiring and not known when it was replaced last by previous owner. The manual says the M18’s used the HBW-50 transmission which takes 0.29 quarts or 300 mL. I removed 350 mL of transmission fluid by suction pump since the drain plug is pretty much unreachable. I scoped the inside of the gear box after the fluid was removed which looked pretty empty except for some slight residual. I put 300 mL according to the manual. I put the dipstick back in to check (not screwing it down just resting it). The dipstick is really hard to read and laying in on a paper towel or white cardboard tends to soak up across the dipstick beyond the full mark. I can see fluid in the quarter inch full notch mark and some droplet formation from the ATF viscosity about halfway below the full mark. Laying it down on white plastic it looks there may be some very slight fluid above the full mark, but I find it hard to believe I would have overfilled putting 50 mL less than what I took out and being able to see the bottom of the inside of the case.

How critical is it to have it exactly to the full mark or if I’m a little above is that a huge deal?
Is there any downside if it is slightly less than at the full mark?

Attachments

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I decided to change the transmission fluid in the Hurth transmission of an Universal M18 on a Catalina 27 since I have about 200 hours on the engine since acquiring and not known when it was replaced last by previous owner. The manual says the M18’s used the HBW-50 transmission which takes 0.29 quarts or 300 mL. I removed 350 mL of transmission fluid by suction pump since the drain plug is pretty much unreachable. I scoped the inside of the gear box after the fluid was removed which looked pretty empty except for some slight residual. I put 300 mL according to the manual. I put the dipstick back in to check (not screwing it down just resting it). The dipstick is really hard to read and laying in on a paper towel or white cardboard tends to soak up across the dipstick beyond the full mark. I can see fluid in the quarter inch full notch mark and some droplet formation from the ATF viscosity about halfway below the full mark. Laying it down on white plastic it looks there may be some very slight fluid above the full mark, but I find it hard to believe I would have overfilled putting 50 mL less than what I took out and being able to see the bottom of the inside of the case.

How critical is it to have it exactly to the full mark or if I’m a little above is that a huge deal?
Is there any downside if it is slightly less than at the full mark?
If you took out 350ML I doubt you are over full with 300ML. I think better a little under than over.
Reading that dip stick is ridiculously hard. Because I may be a little over anal sometimes one thing I have done is measure the distance from the bottom of the bolt to the full line and to the bottom of the dipstick and then marked those measures on a wood dowel. I then use that dowel as my dipstick and it is very much easier to see the reading.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you are a couple of millimeters over the full line when the dipstick is laid on a clean white paper towel, you should be fine. Also use ATF designed for older transmissions, Dextron III. The new ATFs are too slippery for the transmissions, at least that is what the transmission shop told me after they rebuilt my transmission.

mforum

Feb 19, 2022
Catalina 27 Port Gardner
I used GMC ATF MD-3 which says suitable for use where Dexron III so I hope I should be OK. Thanks.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I have a Yanmar engine with the Kanzaki tranny. Same issue with the tranny dipstick. I have an easy solution to get a reading of oil on the bottom of that stick. After I've unscrewed the stick, I clean it good and then wrap a piece of blue or green masking tape around the stick, right at the notch. When the oil reaches the notch level, the masking tape gets soaked, showing that the oil is at the proper level. I then remove the tape, clean the stick and put it back in.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
This is what I love about SBO. Have a problem and someone will have a couple of great solutions.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Not sure when, but a while back this subject was brought up. It really is hard to see the level, and it’s always dark in there (that could just be me)….So how I solved this issue
was to roughen up the indicating area with stainless steel wool. Just to the point where it is rough if scraped with your fingernail. So it doesn’t take much. Few twists in the stainless steel wool should do just fine.
This let’s the oil grab and hold long enough for you to read the level.