another buy or charter question

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Greetings:
My wife and I are thinking about sailing for two months or so in the PNW, mostly in waters between the BC mainland and Vancouver Island. It looks like it would cost US$20,000 or more to charter a boat for that length of time. I have been considering buying a boat, using it for a couple of months and then selling it at the end of the cruise. Maybe something like a Catalina 36 or similar. Anybody out there gone this route or have any comments on the wisdom of the idea?

We have an O'Day 31 in southern California and had thought about shipping it up and back but that doesn't really seem to make sense financially and we would probably want a larger boat for this trip to accommodate guests more comfortably.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Greetings:
My wife and I are thinking about sailing for two months or so in the PNW, mostly in waters between the BC mainland and Vancouver Island. It looks like it would cost US$20,000 or more to charter a boat for that length of time. I have been considering buying a boat, using it for a couple of months and then selling it at the end of the cruise. Maybe something like a Catalina 36 or similar. Anybody out there gone this route or have any comments on the wisdom of the idea?

We have an O'Day 31 in southern California and had thought about shipping it up and back but that doesn't really seem to make sense financially and we would probably want a larger boat for this trip to accommodate guests more comfortably.
Interesting idea. As long as you paid a premium for one of the best Cat 36's, which could be in top end condition, you might be able to then sell it after two months and get your $$$ back. If you buy a neglected cheap Cat 36, you'll lose $$$ for sure, maybe even get divorced in the deal. :)

Are you a gambler?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
charter for sure. You show up....provision..cast off... two months later you drop the boat off and home you go. How much do you think you can save buying an untested, strange boat...hoping there's no major problem during the 60 days, then going through the agony of selling a boat three states away. Too many unknowns.... it ain't worth it. .... 2500/week to cruise in the PNW is a bargain. If you want to save money. Shorten the cruising time and spend some of your vacation ashore....hiking, fly fishing, dining....etc.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
then going through the agony of selling a boat three states away.
Of course, you don't have to sell her in the same state you bought her in. Maybe you end your vacation cruise with a nice sail down the coast.
Also, you don't have to buy the boat at your destination. Anywhere along the way, as long as you felt like you were getting a boat you want and could resell.
The big question is, can you afford to tie up the money for the time it might take to find the right buyer?

It's what Tom asked, are you a gambling man?

-Will (Dragonfly)

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
What you could do is charter a boat in Sidney and then do the gulf islands for a few weeks after that head up to Comox or Powel River and charter another boat for the Desolation Sound area.

• Helpful
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The key is to get a good used boat that will be reliable and not lose it's value it that short time. Not too new. Not too old. Also, very important to get one that does not need any work. All of the this may easier said than done. Kind of a hassle.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not too new. Not too old. Also, very important to get one that does not need any work.
Sounds like you would be looking for a Goldilocks boat.

I’d say $20K for 2 months would be rather reasonable. We spent $10K for 9 days in Belize on the shoulder season. Boat was a 2 yr old 45 ft cat valued at $580K. Pretty fair trade. We walked on every thing worked. We played. We walked off.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Personally, I would be very interested in going the buy/sell route. I've discussed it often with my wife, who hates the idea. What I wouldn't do is take the chance on something like a sailboat, that could even be unsafe, when vacationing with guests. I can be patient with problems, but not when I have invited friends to come along. That would be bad hosting.

-Will (Dragonfly)