Another antenna question???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2004
- - Port Stanley
Hello All
I am in the final stages of installing my Icom SSB radio and need some feed back on my antenna design. I plan on using the back stay as the antenna. I am going to install one back stay insulator three feet from the top and attach the GTO-15 wire at the base (just above the turnbuckle) of the backstay. My backstay is a single backstay but “ Y’s “ at the bottom about ten feet above the cockpit. I plan on installing a GTO-15 jumper wire from the “Y” to the single backstay for continuity. I will install the snap on plastic shroud covers over the lower “Y” backstay and plastic turnbuckle tubes over the two backstay turnbuckles to prevent accidental contact with the backstay.
Thanks
Doug

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Not sure what your question is but I see no need to jump the "Y" on the backstay which would have continuity inherently. You don't mention what you have for a counterpoise which will have the greatest effect on efficacy.

Jun 6, 2004
- - Port Stanley
Hi Don
I installed the KISS counterpoise system. I didn't mention it as that is a whole other can of worms!!!!!
As for the jumper I thought it would be better than the diamond plate, at the "Y", in regards to continuity. Also I was wondering about the antenna length. It will be around 55' in length. Is this too long?

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Hey, I use the KISS and really like it. So no problem there. I'm thinking that the jumper won't do that much, and GTO-15 wicks up moisture. Unless it is really sealed well, the jumper would be gone soon. The interesting thing would be to see how an inverted Y antenna would work!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Hi Don
I installed the KISS counterpoise system. I didn't mention it as that is a whole other can of worms!!!!!
As for the jumper I thought it would be better than the diamond plate, at the "Y", in regards to continuity. Also I was wondering about the antenna length. It will be around 55' in length. Is this too long?

No such thing as too long!
You could measure the resistance through the "Y" if you wanted I guess. As to the length, it is not a good idea to have a resonant length of wire as it will give the tuner a fit. With the Y in the antenna, it's difficult to calc the actual electrical resonant freq of your antenna - I take it you do not have an antenna analyzer?

Jun 6, 2004
- - Port Stanley
Glad to hear that the Kiss system works. There has been a lot of chatter about the Pro’s & Con’s of this new system but at $140 and ten minutes to install I figured it was worth the gamble.
As for my Antenna design I guess I will gust hook it up and give it a try. I will leave out the jumper and see how it works. I will post the results with pictures once I have completed the installations. Thanks to all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.