Another Anchoring Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Sorry I wrote this in the wrong place and it got posted in Bad O's "Withdrawal post" Sorry I'll try again!

I have a few questions about anchoring. I have a Mason Supreme with 20’ of 5/16 chain and 250’ of ½ nylon. My spare, which came with the boat, is an oversize Danforth with 6’ of plastic coated chain. I have no rope for that anchor. I plan on buying a ½ pail (90’) of new chain and another 250’ of rope to use on the Mason Supreme and use the old rodes for the Danforth. For the last year I’ve enjoyed and learned a lot about anchoring from this site. I actually decided to buy the Mason Supreme from reading many posts. Mainsail, you should be getting commissions! How many of you bought Ronca’s, Mason Supreme’s or Makita Buffers after readings from Mainsail?

Maybe I can get a few answers to the following:

With 90’ of chain, there will be a few locations that are shallow enough that I will be using all chain. Sounds stupid but how do you cleat it?

I’ve also read about shock absorbers. How would you add one to the chain and where would you buy it?

How do you determine when to use a stern anchor verses using a second bow anchor or just one anchor? I’ve read how to deploy two bow anchors but not much on how to set a stern anchor. I might be prone to using the dinghy to set a stern in a crowded anchorage.

What happens when you have a stern anchor and the wind shifts 180°?

Around here, you can’t find an anchorage that isn’t crowded. I’m sure it’s no different anywhere else (except for maybe Cuba, I loved that thread). Last summer, I was inside Cutttyhunk Pond, we got there too late to pick up a mooring so I anchored. It was very crowded. I had to move a few times because of the depths. I didn’t want to wake up on my side. I found a spot about 4-1/2’ at low tide maybe 8’ at high tide. Off my stern on the port side I had two boats rafting using an all chain rodes. I don’t remember seeing a stern anchor but they didn’t swing. Off my stern on the starboard side there was a trimaran. She didn’t swing either. The winds where steady out of the SW around 10-15 mph and I was swinging like crazy. I slept (more like rested with one eye open) on the couch looking out the companionway watching both sets of anchor lights all night long. I was afraid of dragging and didn’t have much room if I started. The Mason Supreme held perfectly and we didn't budge although the swinging drove me nuts.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Attach a 3/8 nylon line with thimble & shackle (or just run it through a link) , cleat it.

You could also use the chain stopper (normally used to hold the anchor up) as a backup

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
So the line will act as the shock absorber too. Makes sense.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A shock snubber would be maybe 10 to 15 feet long, maybe a half inch of three-strand nylon( it is SUPPOSED to stretch). Secure one end to the chain, cleat the other end to the bow cleat. then slack off the chain rode until the snubber takes the strain of the anchor/rode. There are several metal hooks made to be attached to a rope rode, then hooked onto the chain.

The simplist is probably available in a hardware or farmer's supply store for alot less than marine store prices. It is somewhat like a fat question mark with a slot for a specific size of chain and a hole for the snubber to be tied on. The size is probably stamped onto the hook. Some people find it falls off the chain too easily.

There is another type that is to be secured to the chain with a shackle pin, and it has a large loop to tie on a snubber line. Hard to take it off quickly, especially if you have to retreive the chain with a windlass.

There is a type that looks something like the letter "D". It has a notch on the straight side to fit a certain size chain. There are two holes for shackles, to allow two snubbers to be used- one to each side of the bow. I'd say it's the strongest type.

The type I got at the boat show has two hooks- like if you bent your first two fingers over then hooked a link of chain. It is quick to pull it off if need be. Agian, they are sized to the size of chain you have.

I believe there is one other, newer, type, but I don't recall it's configuration.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I would splice a grab hook to a half inch line and cleat that. I deploy a stern anchor to keep my bow pointed towards the wakes rolling in from the channel. You might consider a riding sail to reduce the swinging at anchor.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Sorry I wrote this in the wrong place and it got posted in Bad O's "Withdrawal post" Sorry I'll try again!

I have a few questions about anchoring. I have a Mason Supreme with 20’ of 5/16 chain and 250’ of ½ nylon. My spare, which came with the boat, is an oversize Danforth with 6’ of plastic coated chain. I have no rope for that anchor. I plan on buying a ½ pail (90’) of new chain and another 250’ of rope to use on the Mason Supreme and use the old rodes for the Danforth. For the last year I’ve enjoyed and learned a lot about anchoring from this site. I actually decided to buy the Mason Supreme from reading many posts. Mainsail, you should be getting commissions! How many of you bought Ronca’s, Mason Supreme’s or Makita Buffers after readings from Mainsail?
First, the 1/2" line is a serious mis-match and too small IMHO for 5/16" chain.

Maybe I can get a few answers to the following:

With 90’ of chain, there will be a few locations that are shallow enough that I will be using all chain. Sounds stupid but how do you cleat it?

I’ve also read about shock absorbers. How would you add one to the chain and where would you buy it?
You should probably put a chain stopper on the deck that is heavily backed to secure the chain with. Then you would attach a snubber, using a chain hook, to the chain and cleat the snubber off to a bow cleat. The chain should have a fair bit of slack in it so that it doesn't snatch up as the snubber line stretches and shock load the hardware on the boat.

I recommend using a fairly long line for a snubber, say 30-45', rather than a shorter one. The main reason for this is so that you can let out scope if necessary without having to haul the chain in and unhook the snubber, let more chain out and then reconnect the snubber. If the wind is blowing, you're really going to be unhappy about doing that—especially if you're singlehanded.

BTW, the reason I highly suggest you have a chain stopper on the deck of the boat is simple. First, if the windlass craps out, it will help in retreiving the chain portion and anchor. Second, if the snubber breaks, it will stop the rode from paying completely out. Given the length of your rode—340'—having it pay out completely would probably be unwise, since it could leave you on the beach or in other places you probably don't want your boat to go. :)

How do you determine when to use a stern anchor verses using a second bow anchor or just one anchor? I’ve read how to deploy two bow anchors but not much on how to set a stern anchor. I might be prone to using the dinghy to set a stern in a crowded anchorage.

What happens when you have a stern anchor and the wind shifts 180°?
Not a big fan of using tandem or dual anchors generally. If you have to do it any significant amount of time, your primary anchor is too small IMHO.

There are several ways to set a stern anchor. One way is to deploy the bow anchor, set it, and then pay out extra rode, until the boat is over the position you want to drop the stern anchor. Lower the stern anchor and move the boat forward, as you pay out the stern anchor rode. Cleat off both rodes, and power forward to set the stern anchor. Or you can use the dinghy. Generally, you should only use a stern anchor if there is a low risk of the current/wind reversing and if the other boats in the anchor are using them as well, or you'll swing differently than them and present a hazard.

Around here, you can’t find an anchorage that isn’t crowded. I’m sure it’s no different anywhere else (except for maybe Cuba, I loved that thread). Last summer, I was inside Cutttyhunk Pond, we got there too late to pick up a mooring so I anchored. It was very crowded. I had to move a few times because of the depths. I didn’t want to wake up on my side. I found a spot about 4-1/2’ at low tide maybe 8’ at high tide. Off my stern on the port side I had two boats rafting using an all chain rodes. I don’t remember seeing a stern anchor but they didn’t swing. Off my stern on the starboard side there was a trimaran. She didn’t swing either. The winds where steady out of the SW around 10-15 mph and I was swinging like crazy. I slept (more like rested with one eye open) on the couch looking out the companionway watching both sets of anchor lights all night long. I was afraid of dragging and didn’t have much room if I started. The Mason Supreme held perfectly and we didn't budge although the swinging drove me nuts.
To stop the swinging, you might consider using a riding sail at anchor. Another option would be to anchor by the stern. Don Jordan has a good article on why anchoring by the stern makes sense on some modern boats on his website.

BTW, I use a Rocna 15 as my primary, and the trimaran you saw may well have been mine. :)

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Dog, do you sail with your wife and son/grandson? Maybe it was you.:)

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Stern Anchor

i use a stern anchor mainly when i expect little or no wind over night where the boat can drift around unpredictably. A stern anchor will keep you from aimlessly drifting into other boats, or going over you anchor, etc. Otherwise I want my boat to point into the wind and to swing at anchor along with the other boats in the anchorage. My stern anchor is quite small and I don't use a lot of rode because, should the wind kick up, I prefer it to not hold so that I can swing with the other boats.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Definitely figure out what others nearby are doing. My Sister-in laws brother was bringing his new boat from NY to MA. He stopped at Block and anchored bow and stern as he is used to in the Merrimack River...lots of bumping and swearing in the middle of the night.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Dog,

To stop the swinging, you might consider using a riding sail at anchor. Another option would be to anchor by the stern. Don Jordan has a good article on why anchoring by the stern makes sense on some modern boats on his website. Great article. I remember being totally intrigued with a post written by Franklin when he rode out Hurricane Ike. I thought he had more guts than I ever would being aboard your boat in those conditions. I believe he rode the worst of the storm anchored from the stern. Chime in if you will Franklin!

Makes a lot of sense. Another question coming from this post....why don't we see more boats anchored from their sterns if it's more stable? Honestly, I've never seen a boat anchored from the stern.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I've done it quite a few times. :) Works nicely, and it is much easier to set and retrieve the anchor from the cockpit when singlehanding. :)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
One more point..

If you have an anchor roller DO NOT lay to it when high winds are expected. Run the rode directly to the bow cleat.

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 30mkIII Elk Rapids, MI.
Anchoring

Maine Sail;

As usual, a picture is worth MORE than a thousand words!

Fair winds
Dave

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Maine,

Is that from your boat? I don't want to be out in those winds.

Has anyone besides Dog anchored just from the stern?

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
A stern anchor is not to be used in a crowded anchorage as you would want your boat to swing in unison with all the other ones. In addition, save for current, the boat will face into the wind when allowed to swing freely and that will promote better air circulation through the cabin via open hatches. Being pointed into the wind also makes easier raising the mainsail when you get ready to pull anchor and leave. Two bow anchors are set when you want to restrict the swing radius to a small space. How do you cleat a chain rode? In a large enough cleat.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Not from our boat

Maine,

Is that from your boat? I don't want to be out in those winds.
Not my boat. It's a Trawler that my boat yard is working on. Story is the motor died they drifted towards shore then tossed the anchor and went beam to in 6-8 foot waves and high winds. The resulting jerking, to point the boat back into the wind, collapsed the anchor roller.

Has anyone besides Dog anchored just from the stern?
Only once when it was sooooo hot that we wanted to have more air in the cockpit during lunch and actually anchored to the winch so we lay at 45 degrees to the wind and had a nice cross flow breeze.

Our boats have never had much problem with swinging so I can't help much in the stern to anchoring protocol..

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Dog,

To stop the swinging, you might consider using a riding sail at anchor. Another option would be to anchor by the stern. Don Jordan has a good article on why anchoring by the stern makes sense on some modern boats on his website.

Great article. I remember being totally intrigued with a post written by Franklin when he rode out Hurricane Ike. I thought he had more guts than I ever would being aboard your boat in those conditions. I believe he rode the worst of the storm anchored from the stern. Chime in if you will Franklin!

Makes a lot of sense. Another question coming from this post....why don't we see more boats anchored from their sterns if it's more stable? Honestly, I've never seen a boat anchored from the stern.
Before jumping in and anchoring by the stern there are a couple of things to consider. You will need a decent set up to deploy and retrieve the rode and anchor as well as storing all of this in the stern. Many sailboats have at least some overhang in the rear and the more wave action you have in the anchorage the more wave slap you will have on the stern and this can be very annoying when trying to sleep at night. Any current or heavy wave action will put more stress on your rudder. Should the need come up suddenly to haul up the anchor in adverse conditions you will need to do this in reverse and most sailboats don't handle well in reverse. In addition if you use rode you are close to the rudder and prop so fouling is a greater possibility. The cleats, etc. on the stern may not be re-enforced enough to take the loads of an anchor and finally, if you encounter big waves they will break over the stern and in an open stern set up, in the cockpit. Perhaps some have done this successfully but if you are contemplating this here are just a few things to consider.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Chuckbear,

I will be anchoring from the bow as do most boats. I think I will be investing in an anchor sail too. Although, if a hurricane approaches the Northeast I will be contemplating mooring my boat from the stern per Sailingdog's link.

Sailingdog,

1/2 3 strand nylon line is rated for 7500 lbs yet 5/16 chain has a 3900 working load. Why would that be a mismatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.