Another Anchorage Gone

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The sign does not say how far the prohibition extends, and logically it cannot extend to infinity. I wonder if your 3-meter rule is not valid and acceptable. Just stay out past 15 feet MLW. They may very well only be concerned about the shallows.

There are many islands in the Chesapeake with restrictions, mostly related to birds. What I know is that the pelicans and eagles are back now. For many years, things were always getting worse, now they are getting better.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
There are many islands in the Chesapeake with restrictions, mostly related to birds. What I know is that the pelicans and eagles are back now. For many years, things were always getting worse, now they are getting better.
Perhaps it's that global warming thing that the birds are thriving on? ;)

• Ha
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Pelicans have been getting more common on Barnegat Bay, I've noticed. Last spring we were having dinner at a lakeside restaurant in suburban New Jersey and we saw a Bald Eagle swoop low across the lake right in front of us just as casual as can be. They have become very common all along the Delaware River, but this is new to me. I'd guess it is the DDT ban and endangered species protection that has made a difference.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Agree, things have improved significantly since the start of environmentalism. Boston harbor in the 80's had floating raw sewage (really) - today the water is pretty decent.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Agree, things have improved significantly since the start of environmentalism. Boston harbor in the 80's had floating raw sewage (really) - today the water is pretty decent.
Sad but true about Boston Harbor and the raw sewage. The government during those years of deliberately dumping raw sewage into the harbor blamed dog walkers on the beach and boaters for all the pollution. After they fixed the sewage system they took credit for stopping the pollution. Your tax dollars at work.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Sad but true about Boston Harbor and the raw sewage. The government during those years of deliberately dumping raw sewage into the harbor blamed dog walkers on the beach and boaters for all the pollution. After they fixed the sewage system they took credit for stopping the pollution. Your tax dollars at work.
The government is "we." Boston, and most (all?) older cities had (and still have) combined sewers from the beginning. Not a secret.

Yes, replacing sewers costs real money.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In the Peconic Bays there has been a lot said about the eelgrass and its disappearance especially after the brown tides of the early '80's. Problem is that going back to the '30's there was a blight or other disease that destroyed much of the eelgrass. The Brown tide just made it worse. Re-implantation projects have had spotty results. Nevertheless I wish the grasses were back.
Anchorages are going to get closed more and more. And mooring fields too. Satellite photos allegedly show circles around moorings of denuding of the sea bottom. I'm not sure why that matters when there is little growth on the bay bottom, but it is cited by those who want to close anchorages (To improve their view).