Another air leak thread

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Saildrive parts arrived via fed ex yesterday. They sent a new top plate and what looks like thin circular shims. This is going to be interesting. I think we’re going to do it mon/tue. If not then, then after the new yr as I”ll be in Hawaii for a few weeks...

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Ok..just got back from HI and met up with the Beta tech. He installed the new saildrive top plate and shims per Twin Disc service bulletin. Why didn’t my new saildrive have all the bulletins incorporated before shipment?..Anyway, started the engine and after 5minutes, it started puking oil out the vent again. I had a very pointed conversation with Beta West today. I indicated I was very close to demanding a new saildrive. And, it might be Volvo or something..Since it was made in Italy, I may have to wait a few days to see what they say. Also the engine did not want to start again. The tech spent a little time and noted the return line doesn’t definately go below the bottom of the tank which I know. It is very close..Its impossible to do unless I put a longer loop in and drape it into the bilge. He has run into this before and he is thinking about a very weak check valve in the return line. He also said the on board fuel filter can get hard to bleed. I think I will just change it since I’ve never had it off. (Only 85hrs on the engine)..First priority is the saildrive..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Got a call from Beta Marine West this afternoon. New saildrive arrives in a few weeks

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Sure would be nice to know what went wrong in the first one. Great that they're standing behind it!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Oil has to somehow get to the top for the end bearing on the vertical shaft. Something obviously is preventing it from draining back down.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That sounds like a big win Mark.. Way to go. Now will they install it so you are ready to go in early spring?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Should be done sometime around 4-5 weeks from now. Takes two weeks to deliver and installer needs to splash a boat before ours is hauled..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Hauling on the 25th!! With all the freezing wx and snow around here, I'm going to have to winterize the potable water system...

Oct 22, 2014
Afraid the folks up north are planning a few more bouts of this stuff called weather before March. Last year I emptied my potable water while in the hard. Blew out the systems. Then maintained a heater running in the boat yard while on the hard. Pulled in January and mid March before they got warm enough weather to finish the repairs and paint.

May your experience be swift and sure.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We hauled on the 25th and its done today. We will splash on tue as I have some minor surgery on my thumb tomorrow. Hope the new one works..

Oct 22, 2014
Fingers crossed.
Hang in there even though thumb is bandaged. Sometimes tying a loop in the end of your rope helps when you don’t have use of your thumbs.

Ask yard to close all the thru hulls. No need to go down with the ship.

I’m running out of encouraging platitudes here.

Good luck Mark.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Splashed today and took the 1hr tour around the bay. Ran from idle to maximum power. No puking of ATF. Good first sign. Also, I let it run in the slip for 1\2 hr while I reassembled the boat which takes about 1\2 hr. The new saildrive is white while the old one was red. Hmm. Also, neither Beta or Twin Disc wanted the defective one back. They just wrote it off..REALLY?? So, the installer donated it to the Marine Technology Center which is basically a marine vocational like school under the local college. I have an email into the drivelines instructor to see if they can tell me what happened...Hopefully, this little escapade is over. Time will tell..

Oct 22, 2014
Good news Mark. Good that you’re back on the water.