Anodes for AC sytem Hunter 44DS

Jul 25, 2013
Hunter 44DS St Petersburg
I have replaced my AC units with a different brand (Marinaire) and used existing wiring. They have an added need that I am unsure how to address. They want the unit connect to anodes to reduce corrosion. On my Hunter 44, the only anode I know of are the zincs. In order to wire this, I need something else, I am sure. Thoughts, knowledge, or suggestions appreciated.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
This is to prevent any potential galvanic corrosion of the A/C when plugged into shore power when another boat near you has a leaking electrical issue and you share a common ground through the shore power. IMO, this is a rare occurrence and you will notice the problem through other means like your engine or prop shaft anodes disappearing before the A/C experiences any issues. You could bond the A/C to your engine block to use that anode, but personally I'd install a galvanic isolator on the shore power ground wire and prevent the problem from ever reaching your boat in the first place.

Mark

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I asked Dometic the same question.

On my boat bonding is not needed.

Simple test:
1) Disconnect from Shore Power.
2) Use DVM to check low resistance between Copper Dometic Cooler/Evaporator and Engine.

Low resistance = Electrically connected to Engine shaft Zinc.;)

Shaft Zinc is protecting your AC.
Jim...