Annapolis Show re visit

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
YES yes yes..Worth going.
Now make it special. Join up with some of the other SBO members who are going and have a beer or some food.
That is what we did last year. I
t was a real hoot.

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
So someone set up a meet-up. My wife and I will be there. It will be our first show. This is the first time we've done something like this and we are very excited.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I trust everyone knows it is the second weekend in October this year? 10th to 14th. Maybe check out APS big clearance sale on Severn Ave, down a few blocks from the Boatyard Bar and Grill.

Oct 22, 2014
The Boatyard was a great place - good food and beer - an accommodating meeting place for our first Meet&Greet. The Iron Rooster gave us a big table and a great breakfast for our Second Meet&Greet. One additional option if you can assemble a crowd for dinner is Mike's Bar & Crab House in the nearby town of Riva. They have a big deck. On a warm fall evening it is great spot to sit by the river, eat a pot full of Crabs and drink BEER.

Yes you can meet SBO members at these events. All it takes it to start at post, set a time & place, and show up with a smile. If your the only person then you will get a great meal and some time to read the boat paraphernalia you picked up at the show (does anyone really read all that stuff?).

If you are lucky, you’ll be asking the waiters for a bigger table and you’ll be experiencing one of the richest pleasures of being an SBO member. Talking boats with new friend

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Is the extra price of the preview day on Thursday worth it? My wife and I are retired, so being in Annapolis on a Thursday works for us.

Oct 22, 2014
Dr D. Last year Les and I arrived Wednesday. Had a blast Thursday. The vendors were all fresh and hopeful to meet new sailors.

Don’t miss the opportunity to visit the Fleet Reserve Club. Located in the heart of the show it is a great place to visit, get a beer, and a sandwich. Or on the last day drink a few Rum Painkillers on the balcony and join the pool betting on when the last dock will be removed while watching all of the boats vanish from the harbor.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Also, the full moon is the Sat/Sun/Mon. Moonlight over the harbor full of boats. I always go on Thursday. That leaves 4 days to take a new toy out sailing.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Is the extra price of the preview day on Thursday worth it? My wife and I are retired, so being in Annapolis on a Thursday works for us.
Dr. D, I will be going on Thursday this year so if you'd like to meet up send me a note. I'd very much enjoy meeting.

dj

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Sat. night is the party at pussers
Wanna meet to test the painkiller theory!!

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Me and my better half will be there Friday and Saturday. This is our first boat show. Pretty psyched. We are hoping to get info on the latest and greatest stuff and look at some nice shiny big boats (not that we will be buying new). Its two and a half years till we shove off for blue waters, so this is all about the "research".
Hoping to research some good food and beer as well. We can meet up for dinner. I want to go to some of the seminars and they happen to fall right at prime lunch time, as I recall.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I’d go but I would probably have some heated discussions with vendors and their claims. Although it would be interesting if Ron was my “back up”. I’m not as good as I once was.:shhh:

OK, my wife said she’ll consider it if I could get rid of some boat stuff at a yard sale.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
First of all, this is the 50th Anniversary of the show, so that is reason enough to attend. I've been going there almost since it opened, but have missed the last few years due to a broken leg, etc. So, I've seen it change over the years. Always a great show with the latest and greatest boats to visit and lots of sailing gear in tents and reps, builders and professional people to talk to about whatever you want to talk about sailing. There are charter companies so you can get a handle on that and maybe even book a charter. Lots of places to eat in Annapolis (and drink). Seafood is wonderful, the Maryland Crab is plentiful and fun to eat at a place like Mike's or Cantler's). Great pubs and food places like McGarvy's, Middleton Tavern (oyster shooters), O'Leary's (seafood), Chart House (food and drink in a super nice setting over the harbor), Ruth Chris or Lewne's if you are into red meat, Davie's Pub for a cool sailor bar off the beaten track, and the list goes on. I've never met up with SBO peeps. Wouldn't recognize you if I did, I guess. But, it is definitely worth seeing, but better book because rooms get hard to find. The longer you wait, the further out you have to go to find a room (Glen Burnie). And side trips are always inviting. The Naval Academy with a great maritime museum and the cript of John Paul Jones, St. Michaels museum across the Bay and south. Kent Island. Baltimore harbor. Little Italy in Baltimore. Fells Point restaurants in Baltimore. You can drive the loop and go across the Bay Bridge, and head south on the Eastern Shore to St. Michaels and then Easton and Oxford and then catch a ferry back to the other side and work your way back up to Annapolis. Peeps have only so much time to take side trips it seems, but there are lots of things to do around Annapolis and nearby. Walk up the hills to other restaurants and shops galore. Helly Hansen has a store with usually great clothing discounts during the show. I could almost write a book about it. There are two West Marine stores in Annapolis too, plus Fawcett's store and a others. Bacon and Associates (used sails and equipment) on Legion Avenue off of West Street is a great place to browse and if you are looking for any used sails, that is one of the best places to go. Their inventory is anything from Optimist dinghies to Whitbread boats. They are closed on Sunday though. And, of course, new sails are on display at the show with show discounts. Like beer? Yuengling is America's oldest brewery and you can fine that fine brew in abundance in Annapolis. Need I say more?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Would love to meet up with some of you folks, preferably where it’s not too loud to have a conversation. PM me if you want to connect.
We’re going to be looking at lots of boats (My Dragonfly 1200 is newly listed on the market). I want to tour the vendors also.

Last edited:

TEM58

Apr 4, 2013
Catalina 350 35 Belton, TX
We’ll be there Thursday to Sunday. Attending the “Two can Sail” seminar on Saturday, with a day of sightseeing thrown in along with a shopping’s list to finalize our prep for a November departure from Texas. Should be a great time!

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
7:00 Sta. night pussers loft lets all meet and hoist a Painkiller
Write SBO on something to id yourself!!!!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Write SBO on something to id yourself
Just write SBO would be good, or - Print out the logo in the banner above, and tape it to your hat or your shirt? Add your SBO "moniker" (name you post under) hand-written.

Last edited: