anker winch

Mar 25, 2019
Beneteau 473 clipper Vejle
Hi
just bought my 473 from 2003, and the anker winch is causing me truble. I have narrowed it down to the chain gripper is detached from the center. Is there anything to do about this proplem ?
The gripper dont move while operating the winch, both ways (up and down)
Hope somone have had a simular problem, and solved it.
It's the winch that was built in from new. French (cant remember the name just now)
If anyone have a Manual for this type of winch, I would be very happy if I could have a copy.
Regards Henrik

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2014
Jeanneau Moorings International 50 Everett
Since no one has answered you yet, I'll give it a shot from my limited experience of my own windlass. The gypsy (chain wheel) is not directly connected to the windlass shaft, but held by a clutch mechanism that allows the anchor to be deployed without powering it down, and that allows the capstan (the rope wheel) to be used independently of the gypsy. On the end of the windlass shaft is a mechanism to tighten/loosen the clutch - mine is like a bolt that accepts a winch handle, others have some kind of hand wheel adjustment. If the clutch is tight (or there is no clutch) and the gypsy still turns independent of the shaft, then there are probably key(s) missing. Keys are small square pieces of metal that fit is slots machined in the windlass shaft and clutch plates (or gypsy itself if there is no clutch) that keep them aligned. As the windlass needs annual service and lubrication it should be fairly easy to disassemble and inspect and figure out how it all works and what is not working.
If you need more help, windlass brand and model, and/or pictures would help.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
The gypsy (chain wheel) is not directly connected to the windlass shaft, but held by a clutch mechanism that allows the anchor to be deployed without powering it down,
All 3 different brands that I have used use that system.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Just looked at their web-site. Looks to have a place to contact them and maybe download the manual.