Animal poop

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
OK, so trying to not feel like I've just been sent to my room, I went outside and climbed in my boat. The boat is under cover. Much to my disappointment the top of my boat is covered in large poop. Not sure what animal it is, possibly racoon or at least that size animal. Why do these animals pick this place to poop? They have a whole yard. Previously they did this to my Hobie trampoline which was not under any cover. I've never seen any animals on the either boat other than squirrels. Don't know how to keep the animals from doing their business there. I'm not really sure how they get up on the larger boat anyway. Only animals that would jump about 3 ft would have access to the top of the boat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Seems to me that all creatures hate moth balls. I keep a coffee can full and leave it open In my boat anytime I’m away. No wasps, spiders mice etc. also the active ingredient kills mold spores.
next winter try leaving a hand full in a tray under the tarp.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
sounds like raccoons, ....... cute,...... destructive as all hell.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Sounds like raccoons but strange the cover wasn’t shredded.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
You probably wouldn't want to spend the money but how about trying a game camera that will use a visible flash (not the IR mode). You'll find out the culprit and maybe even scare them away. I am assuming your boat is on a trailer at your home so it shouldn't bother the neighbors too much as long as it doesn't flash into their bedroom window.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
agreeing with Raccoons - which I have some experience with. First of all they are very athletic. A 3 foot jump would be easy for them. You never see them because they are nocturnal. They don't mind their own poop. In fact they get it on their coats and use a smell to follow routes. If you look closely at your boat you may see the streaks where they have traveled. Do not touch them. Raccoon poop caries disease (Some Fungus, I think). You can put talcum powder or other powdery substance on your boat where you think they've been. You will see the footprints. Make sure there is no standing water in the boat. They need water because they have no saliva glands. They are smart so you have to be careful about trapping. They learn about traps very quickly. In NY you are not allowed to re-locate them. And anyway they are very territorial will probably find their way back. In NY you have to hire a state certified trapper, who will kill it and take it away. It's expensive. The females with cubs are vicious, nasty animals. You may get the idea that I don't like Raccoons. That would be correct.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Every now and then a boat in our marina will become the home to a family...... its not pretty.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
If you are close to water, it might be otters or nutria. Both are very 'untidy' critters.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Could be raccoons. A couple of years ago my wife was telling me there was something on the roof. I didn't hear the noise and made the mistake of suggesting she was hearing things since there are no overhanging trees. This went on for a couple of weeks. One day I glanced out the front window and there on the roof was a raccoon.
I should know better than question her.
It must have climbed up the wood columns by the front door, over the eves onto the roof.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Got to thinking, I've inherited an farm house recently. I'm pretty sure in the barn is an electric fence box. It will be a while before I can drive down to get it, but I'm thinking I might wire this up to the trailer. The boat is in my own back yard, so no one will be anywhere near it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We have a raccoon family who think they are members of the club. They leave presents on docks and boats. They won't pay dues but the park says we can't trap and relocate them.

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
You might try fox or coyote urine. Most hunting supply stores would have it. Sprinkle a little around, not on, the boat/trailer. Would likely have to reapply every so often.

DJAY

Apr 16, 2018
Hunter 31 Saylorville Lake
Tongue in cheek only... frankly I enjoy raccoons and other wildlife, but I've heard of a cure for poorly behaving raccoons, squirrels etc. One simply places a small piece of lead in an ear and they stop misbehaving. I have used it on raccoons with distemper. Ended the symptoms instantly

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Tongue in cheek only... frankly I enjoy raccoons and other wildlife, but I've heard of a cure for poorly behaving raccoons, squirrels etc. One simply places a small piece of lead in an ear and they stop misbehaving. I have used it on raccoons with distemper. Ended the symptoms instantly
How does putting lead in your ear affect critters? :biggrin: