Angled Mast (new mast plate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

I bought the new, improved mast plate from Catalina Direct for my '79 C-22, installed it last month, and raised the mast today expecting to go sailing, but encountered a slight problem. The entire mast angles to stern by about 5-10 degrees. The mast is not bent. I have loosened all stays but the mast is still angled back. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas what could cause this?

B

Bob B

Angled mast. Mast base moved?

Hello Tom: What happens when you tighten the forestay? Has the mast base accidently been moved forward? I made a new mast plate & backstay tang for my 1980 C22 & I have the opposite problem. I can't seem to get enough mast rake aft. The forestay turnbuckle is screwed almost all the way out & the backstay turnbuckle bottomed out. Does anyone know what the actual "J" measurement should be. My "J" from the front of the mast to the pointy end not including the vinyl rubstrip is 95-5/8". I know the advertised measurement is 8'. Also the front of my mast is 1/4" behind the plate front hold down lagscrew. My hull has the wider coamings where the winches are mounted, maybe different than newer models? I also made a mast hinge to fit the plate. Regards, Bob B.

Attachments

T

Tom

Could have been mast movement

Bob, Thanks for your reply. It's highly possible the placement of the mast base moved slightly forward when I replaced the plate, but I would have thought Catalina made the measurements of the plate identical to the original. My forestay has absolutely no slack in it, I barely managed to attach it to the bow (had to use the halyard wrapped around the bow pulpit for leverage). I also loosened the shrouds. What's interesting is that the backstay still has some give, its not fully tensioned. Is the J length supposed to be the measurement from the back of the mast base to aft?

D

Don

Tom

Is your boat sitting on her lines or is the stern sitting lower in the water than the bow?

Status
Not open for further replies.