Angle of boat

Jul 27, 2015
catalina 30 SF bay
This may just be in my head but it is driving me nuts!!! It seems to me that the stern is lower or the bow is higher than it used to be. It's an 85 standard rig. I don't have anything on the boat that is not usual or extremely heavy. When on the boat everything seems fine. This evening the water was still so I measured. I measured from the top of the rub rail to the water line at both the furthest bow point and at the stern on the port side. The bow measured 47 inches to the water line and the stern measured 37 inches to the water line. Are these numbers about normal or am I sinking. I have checked for water and all seems dry. Any ideas.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What does the boot stripe look like? Do you have a couple of pictures of her sitting in the water? Old pics vs new pics?
Maybe it is your finger dock that is shifting.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Well if you didn't have those measurements before you have nothing to compare them to, but now you have a baseline from which to gauge you next set of measurements from the same locations. BUT, if the loading of the boat changes those measurements won't be of much good. Perhaps another wobbly pop would help sort out the perception.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sounds like a good time to spend a a day and take EVERYTHING out of the boat. Now look at how the boat floats, and the huge pile of stuff you just removed. I'm guessing that you will only put 1/2 of it back on the boat. You'll probably float better. And be faster to boot.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I measured from the top of the rub rail to the water line at both the furthest bow point and at the stern on the port side. The bow measured 47 inches to the water line and the stern measured 37 inches to the water line. Are these numbers about normal or am I sinking.
You do realize the sheer of hull makes it higher at the bow than the stern?

Go get a brochure of a C30, from one of the handful of different C30 websites, or even the archive tab on the Catalina Yachts website. Measure the sheer on the diagrams and compare it to yours.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Great idea Stu and just did that, it is subjective but the measurements that @brad minda stated and the scaling of the sailboat data diagram gives me a comparison within 10%.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You do realize the sheer of hull makes it higher at the bow than the stern?
I don't think the OP was suggesting they should be the same. I think he was just offering his measurements as a comparison, in case someone else knew the measurements of their C30.
The brochure is an excellent idea, though. So is the baseline for later measurements.
I see Brad had been an SBO member since the middle of 2015, he must have older pictures of his boat to compare to. Don't you, @brad minda ?

- Will (Dragonfly)